• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying someone on a non-regular basis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying someone on a non-regular basis

Morning all,

I have to pay someone through my company for the services he is providing to a client. The contract has been setup between my pvt. ltd. company and the client and he is the selected person. But the client will call him to do something only occasionally, atleast to start of with.

I am thinking of put him on my payrol. When his client clears the invoice I pay him a salary after deducting NI+PAYE which go to HMRC when I pay them my taxes each month. I shall also issue him a salary slip.

Any issues with this arrangement? Suggestions welcome.

Best regards.

probably a lot simpler to make him operate as an independant contractor contracting to you. You just pay him plus VAT and he can deal with the rest after that.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thanks. But he hasn't got a company setup.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      probably a lot simpler to make him operate as an independant contractor contracting to you. You just pay him plus VAT and he can deal with the rest after that.

Comment

how about a brolly?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by conqurer View Post
          Morning all,

I have to pay someone through my company for the services he is providing to a client. The contract has been setup between my pvt. ltd. company and the client and he is the selected person. But the client will call him to do something only occasionally, atleast to start of with.

I am thinking of put him on my payrol. When his client clears the invoice I pay him a salary after deducting NI+PAYE which go to HMRC when I pay them my taxes each month. I shall also issue him a salary slip.

Any issues with this arrangement? Suggestions welcome.

Best regards.
          If he is happy with the deductions then you could pay him via a salary, but you will need his P45/P46?

Otherwise you can just pay him the gross amount, and he will need to declare it as income on his personal tax return

Pete

Pete

Comment

I had two employers once - the first taxed me according to my "normal" tax code, the second on a BR code. This mean that everything from my second employment was taxed at the base rate.

NotAllThere
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by conqurer View Post
              Thanks. But he hasn't got a company setup.
              Shouldn't matter - you pay him, he declares it as income on his tax return.

Only thing is - if he doesn't pay his tax and NI, you become liable.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Only thing is - if he doesn't pay his tax and NI, you become liable.
                Does this mean that if a geezer from down the road fitted a bathroom for you cash-in-hand, and Hector caught up with him, you'd be liable for his tax & NI?

Not disputing your argument - just intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                  Does this mean that if a geezer from down the road fitted a bathroom for you cash-in-hand, and Hector caught up with him, you'd be liable for his tax & NI?

No - it's only if they are deemed to be your employee. This is why agencies won't deal with sole traders, only brolly or Ltd.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post

no because he would evidently be self-employed.

if your subcontractor was accepted by HMRC as being self-employed, they couldn't come after you for the PAYE/NIC, unless you were deemed to be an agency, in which case they could!

Comment

Working...
                    X