• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reneging On A Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reneging On A Contract

All,

I have agreed in principle to start a contract, without signing anything. But oops...something much better has come along. Does anyone know if an email to the effect of ´yes I will do this´is legally binding? The notice period on both sides is very short so in a worst case scenario I could always just go there, work for a short time and then abort. But that is far from ideal, particularly as contact #1 is outside the EU.

Any advice much appreciated.

If you have not signed anything you are not bound yet, if you don't agree with the terms and conditions in the contract you are always free to walk away....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      If you have not signed anything you are not bound yet, if you don't agree with the terms and conditions in the contract you are always free to walk away....
      Thanks for your reply. Problem is I was given a draft contract beforehand and agreed (verbally/by email) to the Ts&Cs. But it´s true that I haven´t signed anything on paper.

Comment

Email is a signed document...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by xara
          Thanks for your reply. Problem is I was given a draft contract beforehand and agreed (verbally/by email) to the Ts&Cs.
          Enjoy your new contract, and for the future remember if you have more than one thing in the pipeline don't agree to the first offer you get unless you are sure you want to accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            Email is a signed document...
            If the contract is outside the EU then that might not be so? Surely depends on where the contract is and what the T&Cs are ?

Comment

Originally posted by where did my id go?
              If the contract is outside the EU then that might not be so? Surely depends on where the contract is and what the T&Cs are ?
              Depends which legal system the contract is written under. If it's English (or Scottish) Law, then you're stuffed. I have no idea how other countries see such things but I would be surprised if it was significantly different.

You can still not start, just don't expect to get any work from that agency or client again, nor from any related agencies, nor any sympathy from 99% of the people who haunt this board when the agency sues for consequential losses, which they may do. But I suggest you start by talking to the agent...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                Depends which legal system the contract is written under. If it's English (or Scottish) Law, then you're stuffed. I have no idea how other countries see such things but I would be surprised if it was significantly different.

You can still not start, just don't expect to get any work from that agency or client again, nor from any related agencies, nor any sympathy from 99% of the people who haunt this board when the agency sues for consequential losses, which they may do. But I suggest you start by talking to the agent...
                Mal, even though the gig is outside EU, the chances are the agency is UK based in which case UK law applies.

As you point out thought, reneging on said contract is morally wronganyway, and quite possibly legally wrong wherever it's based...
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. I did suspect email was pretty binding.

Fortunately there is a very short notice period initially (3 days). But the whole thing is not due to begin for quite a while, so I would have thought that I am actually saving them time and hassle by just pulling out. I guess I will just go there and immediately serve notice.

Comment

Originally posted by xara
                    Thanks all for your comments. I did suspect email was pretty binding.

Fortunately there is a very short notice period initially (3 days). But the whole thing is not due to begin for quite a while, so I would have thought that I am actually saving them time and hassle by just pulling out. I guess I will just go there and immediately serve notice.
                    What's do good about the second contract that is making you want to not take your first ?
                    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Working...
                    X