• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming a notebook bought before the company registration ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming a notebook bought before the company registration ?

Can I claim my notebook that has been bought before my company registration. In addition it was bought from the US ?

No. But you can sell it to YourCo at an agreed price, can't you...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      No. But you can sell it to YourCo at an agreed price, can't you...

Sounds kinda dodgy. Not my style.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
        Nothing dodgy about it. Draw up a proper invoice and sell it to your company.

Comment

it may be dodgy to claim for th elaptop before registration,
          Won't you be eligble for the Import tax then?
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
            Tough. Them's the rules.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
              it may be dodgy to claim for th elaptop before registration,
              Won't you be eligble for the Import tax then?
              No because the import duty will have already been paid when it first arrived in the UK. There is nothing dodgy about it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard1974uk
                No because the import duty will have already been paid when it first arrived in the UK. There is nothing dodgy about it at all.

I brought the notebook from the US stright through the customs without paying a single penny.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                  I brought the notebook from the US stright through the customs without paying a single penny.
                  Okay, but I was pointing out that if import duty were paid then it wouldn't have to paid again as it is already in the UK.

Comment

Selling it to your company is effectively the same as claiming it.

When I setup MyCo, I compiled a list of everything that I'd bought before, with some receipts, and claimed them - whether this is seen as claiming it, or selling it to the company is IMHO a minor thing. My accountant said to compile the list, which I did - I just kept a copy of the list and claimed the money.

See what your accountant says about what you need to do to claim it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X