• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vhadiant View Post
    I've received my VAT certificate weeks ago, but still waiting for the FRS. What's the waiting time for everyone here? I applied for FRS at the same time with the VAT, Nixon Williams said that I should receive the FRS a couple after the VAT certificate, it has been over 3 weeks now and still none to be seen.
    I was waiting about a month for VAT then another 6 weeks for FRS, in the end my accountant phoned them and I got it three days later, the power of communication eh,
    Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Got my VAT number yesterday - I only waited 5 months!!!!
      cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

I got my VAT reg number through the post, but with it came a letter that said I can't use the number until December. Wtf?

Comment

Seems to take just as long to get OUT of doing VAT. Must have sent my deregistration forms in for both companies at least 8 weeks back.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Right finally received my FRS. All up the application took me about 3.5 months from start to end.

Comment

11 weeks for me to get registered
              - been trading for 9 of those 11
              still awaiting the FRS registration though

Comment

Got my registration over the weekend. Took about 2.5 months.

Question - The effective date is Nov 1st, but I started trading on Sept 1st. I rang customs and excise and they stated I can only start charging from the effective date.

Is this the case? I had intended on crediting previous invoices and submitting a new invoice with VAT.

Suppose that should not be an issue as in theory I have not charged VAT until after the effective date?

Comment

Originally posted by backlight View Post
                  Got my registration over the weekend. Took about 2.5 months.

Question - The effective date is Nov 1st, but I started trading on Sept 1st. I rang customs and excise and they stated I can only start charging from the effective date.

Is this the case? I had intended on crediting previous invoices and submitting a new invoice with VAT.

Suppose that should not be an issue as in theory I have not charged VAT until after the effective date?
                  You can only charge VAT for the period that you were VAT registered. So in your case, since the registration was not completed until November 1st, you can't back date the VAT claim.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

To ensure I am clear.

For example, lets assume I started trading in Sept but did not submit my first invoice until Nov, after I was VAT registered.

Should the invoice include VAT?

Comment

Originally posted by backlight View Post
                      To ensure I am clear.

For example, lets assume I started trading in Sept but did not submit my first invoice until Nov, after I was VAT registered.

Should the invoice include VAT?
                      Yes - if the invoice date is after the date of registration, then you add VAT. If it isn't, then you don't.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X