• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Aspect Enquiries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Aspect Enquiries

Anyone had one of these? Does it usually evolve into anything more sinister?

Originally posted by TazMaN
    I think it can be the start of an IR35 investigation ...

Comment

I've had two aspect enquires into my personal tax returns: I'd put the wrong numbers in the wrong boxes (twice!). Both enquires were closed once the mistake was fixed and the extra tax + interest paid.

It might actually work in your favour - if you're stupid enough to muck up your tax return then you're probably not clever enough to be a tax evader.

Comment

Originally posted by Francesco
        I've had two aspect enquires into my personal tax returns: I'd put the wrong numbers in the wrong boxes (twice!). Both enquires were closed once the mistake was fixed and the extra tax + interest paid.

It might actually work in your favour - if you're stupid enough to muck up your tax return then you're probably not clever enough to be a tax evader.
        Be careful, I think if you have PCG or QDOS insurance you must let them handle an aspect enquiry. They can turn into IR35 as far as I am aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Francesco

Or they might more reassonably take the view that if you routinely muck up the SA form, your business affairs might be equally suspect and launch a PAYE investigation...

Don't make mistakes. Ever.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            I've had two aspect enquiries of which one was sorted with the exchange of small amounts of cash and the other found me to be correct. I've had a PAYE Inspection which turned into a 4 year IR35 fight which I also (eventually) won. Not had a VAT inspection for 18 years so I'm probably due one of those.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I wouldn't expect an aspect enquiry to turn into an IR35 investigation directly. It could turn into a PAYE investigation on the company which could then turn into the IR35 investigation.

I have had apsect enquirys in 4 of the last 6 years. None of them have led to anything.

Comment

Working...
              X