• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11D vs Directors Loan account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P11D vs Directors Loan account

Ok - something I've picked up off another thread or two.
    How many people pay their mileage & other expenses etc through Directors Loan accounts as costs already incurred - and not declaring on P11Ds
    Equally - how many people put through stuff as normal expenses, and then do the P11D at the end of the year.

Equally - would an accountant on here like to comment?

I pay my expenses through the company debit card and don't even think about a P11D...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      I pay my expenses through the company debit card and don't even think about a P11D...

There is I beleive a mileage limit of £8k per year after which you have to submit a P11D. If you're reimbursing yourself for susbsistence, hotel costs, etc I don't thnk a P11D applies.

Comment

Originally posted by dmini
        How many people pay their mileage & other expenses etc through Directors Loan accounts as costs already incurred - and not declaring on P11Ds
        Equally - how many people put through stuff as normal expenses, and then do the P11D at the end of the year.

Well, IANAA but whether you happen to book the exes through the DCA or physically reimburse them when claimed makes no difference to the P11D state. A p11d is required for all expenses in excess of a dispensation. [But only if you are a director or the totals is more than 8.5k per year. Dodgy hint: don't be a director, take no salary and 8k worth of miscellaneous dodgy expenses and arguably there is no BIK - but expect a very rough ride is you have any real managerial power (powers of a director and all that)]

Comment

Originally posted by dmini

Mileage no longer has to be reported on the P11d provided you do not pay more than the 40p/25p per mile.

Other expenses must be reported on the P11d (unless you have a dispensation) this would cover things like, accommodation, travel, home office costs, entertaining etc.

It does not matter how the cost was incurred, if the cost was for the benefit of the director then it is reported on the P11d. If the cost was for business then you can claim relief on the tax return so that you are not taxed.

All directors must have a P11d completed and "higher paid" employees (defined as on a salary/benefits in excess of £8500pa).

Alan

Comment

My accountant sorts this out for me.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
              It does not matter how the cost was incurred, if the cost was for the benefit of the director then it is reported on the P11d. If the cost was for business then you can claim relief on the tax return so that you are not taxed.
              Lemme get this straight.

If you pay for a hotel of say 5 nights at £100. This is all bonafide business stuff not a naughty weekend away with the missus.

So you report £500 on the P11D and then tell them its £500 of business expense so you dont pay tax on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                Lemme get this straight.

If you pay for a hotel of say 5 nights at £100. This is all bonafide business stuff not a naughty weekend away with the missus.

So you report £500 on the P11D and then tell them its £500 of business expense so you dont pay tax on it?
                Nearly, you put the £500 on the P11d - there is nowhere on that form to claim it is legitimate deduction - that bit goes on your personal tax return - you put the £500 on page one of the employment section as a payment and then again on page 2 as a legitimate deduction.

Comment

Originally posted by WHA
                  Nearly, you put the £500 on the P11d - there is nowhere on that form to claim it is legitimate deduction - that bit goes on your personal tax return - you put the £500 on page one of the employment section as a payment and then again on page 2 as a legitimate deduction.
                  I see so the P11D doesnt work out how much tax you pay...that is where I was getting confused as I could find the box for legitimate deductions.

Comment

Working...
                  X