• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I need to return a P35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigbird
    I suspect (although I can't find confirmation either) that 25th April may be the last date to register for online filing so that it will be set up and ready before the 19th May.
    Hmmm, possibly, although would be strange as I signed up last week and it only took a few days. And I don't see how that would necessitate finding myself an accountant 'TODAY' as per cojak's big red warning.

Comment

I suspect (although I can't find confirmation either) that 25th April may be the last date to register for online filing so that it will be set up and ready before the 19th May.

In your case it's not relevant though because you can't file a NIL return online.

Incidentally, for those who do file online the incentive payment goes down to £150 this year (2006/7) then £75 2007/8 and £50 2008/9.
      That's the one...

Good - now you're looking things up yourselves.

Don't take anyone's word, find reputable sources and make your own decisions...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
        That's the one...

Good - now you're looking things up yourselves.

Great, so in order to make some sort of cheap point about personal responsibility you wasted half my day by scaremongering about a deadline which neither necessitated taking the urgent steps you proposed, nor had serious consequences if missed completely, and concerned a process you knew I had already completed anyway.

Despite what you say, I happen to think submitting questions to a forum of my peers is a perfectly suitable strand of research into these matters, and I hope to continue to benefit from it despite the mockery some would heap on me for daring not to have an accountant run the show completely.

Like many others, I'm here to learn how to be a businessman, not a Jedi master, so if you think you could deliver your lessons in a slightly less obtuse format I'm sure it would be widely appreciated.
        Last edited by ittony; 23 April 2007, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
          Actually, the main reason I post on CUK is because I consider it to be a reputable source for a lot of info.........

Not being a contractor myself but someone who is trying to provide a service to contractors (but not a managed one obviously! ) it is really useful to me to get views form the "other side of the coin" if you like.

It's great that info on a wide variety of subjects can be shared so freely on here, and I expect that for most of us we would take any advice given as a starting point and do our own research to verify it rather than just following it like sheep.........

Comment

Originally posted by ittony
            Great, so in order to make some sort of cheap point about personal responsibility you wasted half my day by scaremongering about a deadline which neither necessitated taking the urgent steps you proposed, nor had serious consequences if missed completely, and concerned a process you knew I had already completed anyway.

Despite what you say, I happen to think submitting questions to a forum of my peers is a perfectly suitable strand of research into these matters, and I hope to continue to benefit from it despite the mockery some would heap on me for daring not to have an accountant run the show completely.

Like many others, I'm here to learn how to be a businessman, not a Jedi master, so if you think you could deliver your lessons in a slightly less obtuse format I'm sure it would be widely appreciated.
            I've been using this site for the last month and have found the vast majority of people to be knowledgeable and prepared to help. Stick with it. With regards to deadlines, I'm more fortunate as I have yet to pay any salary and so have no forms to file for 2006/07 (only got a PAYE reference last week). But if you setup electronic filing with HMRC they will mail you when deadlines are approaching. There's also a list of them on the CD they give you. By the way, I called my PAYE office this morning to register for quarterly payment and they say it is an error in the pack that you need to do that as all new employers are by default setup for quarterly payments.

Comment

Actually, the main reason I post on CUK is because I consider it to be a reputable source for a lot of info.........

Not being a contractor myself but someone who is trying to provide a service to contractors (but not a managed one obviously! ) it is really useful to me to get views form the "other side of the coin" if you like.

It's great that info on a wide variety of subjects can be shared so freely on here, and I expect that for most of us we would take any advice given as a starting point and do our own research to verify it rather than just following it like sheep.........
              I would also expect a bit of research to be done at the beginning, BB.

But I take your point...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                With regards to deadlines, I'm more fortunate as I have yet to pay any salary and so have no forms to file for 2006/07 (only got a PAYE reference last week).
                Hi Lewis. That's pretty much the situation I'm in except that for some reason the Revenue issued me with a PAYE reference as soon as I returned my CT41G even though I pointedly did not ask them to, as I knew I wouldn't be ready to draw a salary for a while. So since then I've had to return nil payslips and apparently now have to return a nil P35 for the 2006/2007 tax year even though not a penny left the business during that time, which all seems a bit pointless. So did you manage to submit your CT41G without being enrolled in the whole PAYE shebang before you needed to be?

Comment

Foresight One

Dear all

There are still compliant solutions out there for contractors working in the UK. If you are serious about looking for an advisor then please contact me by PM ([email protected]) and I would be happy to discuss various solutions based on your circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by ittony
                    Hi Lewis. That's pretty much the situation I'm in except that for some reason the Revenue issued me with a PAYE reference as soon as I returned my CT41G even though I pointedly did not ask them to, as I knew I wouldn't be ready to draw a salary for a while. So since then I've had to return nil payslips and apparently now have to return a nil P35 for the 2006/2007 tax year even though not a penny left the business during that time, which all seems a bit pointless. So did you manage to submit your CT41G without being enrolled in the whole PAYE shebang before you needed to be?
                    Only just submitted my CT41G last week. Was waiting for PAYE code to put on it (there was some comment in the notes about needing it to avoid them setting up an unnecessary PAYE code). Plus it said you have three months to send it back so I didn't rush. Now if they have setup an unnecessary code like the note warns maybe you can call them and get them to cancel it to avoid sending P35 etc.. just a guess but when I called the number about having year end as 29th Feb (leap year) I got a very friendly and helpful lady so I am sure they will be at least able to clarify your options.

Comment

You need to send in a "Nil" P35, and you can't do it online.

Just write "NIL" across the bit where you would normally put the employee details, stick a 0.00 at the bottom, tick all the boxes and sign it.
                      Do I need to complete any P14s when submitting a nil P35? (The company has two directors neither of whom received any money in salary, expenses, dividends or anything else during the 2006/2007 tax year.)

Comment

Working...
                      X