• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I need to return a P35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyajae
    a) Chase HMRC to ensure they have you registered as self employed
    b) Register with HMRC a.s.a.p. to do your P35 and P14 / P11 online - it's a sh1t load less hassle and the HMRC give you a £250 pay back incentive to do it online.
    c) When your registered to fill your returns online, you do get email alerts from HMRC reminding you of deadlines for the various submissions that need to be done.
    AND THE DEADLINE IS THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW*!!

*Wednesday 25th April

Go to an accountant TODAY...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ittony
      I am a director, directors do not need to draw NMW.

And I do not wish seem ungrateful (I am - thanks) but I am led to believe that it is entirely my own responsibility that these things are done properly, and my own liability if they are not, and in my book that means I need to understand it all myself.
      And what about your P11D?

Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200 (in fact just do a standing order to the VAT & Tax man every year).

Yes, ultimately it is your responsibility to know about these things; use an accountant for a year. An accountant will educate you in these matters then you can do your own stuff.

Actually I think that it's fairly irresponsible of you to rely on this board; most of whom are not accountants (and those that are rightly say that their advice is worth what you pay for it).

You're looking for guidance here? The advice is go to an accountant. Or do DIY properly and go to the HMRC site and get yourself some decent books

Finance on a Beermat is the first to go for, this will give you the basics).

Bookkeeping and Accounts for Small Businesses for more detailed stuff.

Otherwise remember - you're floating down sh1t creek without a paddle, and don't expect anything we throw you to work...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
        AND THE DEADLINE IS THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW*!!

*Wednesday 25th April

Go to an accountant TODAY...
        The deadline for what?

Comment

I suggest you go to the HMRC website and find out....

Comment

I thought I might find some like-minded individuals round here.
            I'm interested as also looking to do my own payroll. Just got CD from revenue and going through it. I am keen to learn as much as I can and I'm sure there are others reading this too. keep 'em coming!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
              I suggest you go to the HMRC website and find out....
              I can't find any reference to a 25 April deadline on there. Would you mind telling me what you are referring to please?

Comment

I can't find any reference to a 25 April deadline on there. Would you mind telling me what you are referring to please?
                Nothing I can think of. The P35 deadline is 19 May so it's not that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbird
                  You need to send in a "Nil" P35, and you can't do it online.

Just write "NIL" across the bit where you would normally put the employee details, stick a 0.00 at the bottom, tick all the boxes and sign it.
                  Thanks Bigbird!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                    I'm interested as also looking to do my own payroll. Just got CD from revenue and going through it. I am keen to learn as much as I can and I'm sure there are others reading this too. keep 'em coming!
                    Hi Lewis, nice to know there's at least one kindred spirit out there. I'm at a similar stage to you by the sound of it, having just got the CD myself.

Don't suppose you've come across this deadline that cojak's warning of? He's got me pretty worried, but after spending a good hour trawling the HMRC website and the internet in general I can't find any applicable reference to a 25 April deadline.

Comment

I suspect (although I can't find confirmation either) that 25th April may be the last date to register for online filing so that it will be set up and ready before the 19th May.

In your case it's not relevant though because you can't file a NIL return online.

Incidentally, for those who do file online the incentive payment goes down to £150 this year (2006/7) then £75 2007/8 and £50 2008/9.

Comment

Working...
                      X