• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy to let mortgage vs director's loan for corporation tax purposes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to let mortgage vs director's loan for corporation tax purposes.

Hi all
    I seem to remember from long time ago that if a company takes a BTL mortgage both capital and interest repayment are tax deductible.
    Also I remember that if a it's a director's loan to company only the interest is tax deductible. The capital must be repaid back from the taxed profit.

are those 2 above true?
    if so, why would they be treated differently?

Have you asked an accountant rather than a bunch of contractors?

Bearing in mind you've got a BTL via an SPV it seems wouldn't you be in a better place to answer this than most?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...ml#post2983418

And possibly because directors loans are treated differently to mortgages?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post
      Hi all
      I seem to remember from long time ago that if a company takes a BTL mortgage both capital and interest repayment are tax deductible.
      Also I remember that if a it's a director's loan to company only the interest is tax deductible. The capital must be repaid back from the taxed profit.

are those 2 above true?
      if so, why would they be treated differently?
      That bit is wrong. It's always just the interest that is tax deductible, if the property and mortgage is within a SPV (Ltd Co).

Comment

Working...
      X