• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best accountancy firms for LTD in 2023 - Contractor in tech - Outside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best accountancy firms for LTD in 2023 - Contractor in tech - Outside IR35

Hi all,

Conscious this topic might have been covered hundred of times but as a lot of accountancy firms have shutted down or reduced the quality of their services since IR35, grateful to hear feedback from the ground.

I used to work with Qaccounting (ex Qdos). Very professional in all aspect but they do not offer packages anymore and their house bookkeeping soft/app is not very smooth. Also you have to go through a RM before you can speak to the accountant so not ideal for quick answers.

I don't really mind paying high price as long as service is delivered. I would also like the firm working digitally and with real time soft to be able to look at the accounts.

Reading online I saw good feedback on firms below. Any comments on them ?
    Dolan Accoutancy
    Aardvark Accounting
    Clever Accounts

Any other firms I should look at ?

Thanks

It's worth taking a look at one of the sticky posts in this forum:
    Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
    (If you start on the final page and work backwards then you'll see recent recommendations.)

I assume that you closed your previous company (after the last time you used Qaccounting), so you're now starting from scratch? (I.e. you don't have any records to migrate.) If so, that will make things simpler.

I recommend going to an accountant who uses FreeAgent. That way, you'll always have instant access to your data, and it should be fairly easy to switch to a different accountant later.

Comment

Indeed not starting from scratch so no migration to do.

Will check out this link thanks

Agreed, FreeAgent is also on my list of requirements.

Also just noticed that Aardvark Accounting is offering free agent but bookkeeping is to be paid on top of as an option. It does not really makes sense to me...How can you offer the soft but not the recording...Am I missing something here ? Anyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by philgo View Post
        Also just noticed that Aardvark Accounting is offering free agent but bookkeeping is to be paid on top of as an option. It does not really makes sense to me...How can you offer the soft but not the recording...Am I missing something here ? Anyone ?
        Looking at the pricing page on their website, you can hover over the "i" icon for bookkeeping, which says:

Bookkeeping involves the recording of a business' financial transactions (invoices, payments, receipts etc). You might do this using accounting software or a spreadsheet. But if you don't want to worry about doing this yourself, we'll do it for you!
        I assume that means that you can send them an envelope full of receipts and then they'll do the data entry for you. I think it makes more sense to do it yourself, but if it takes you ages then you might prefer to pay them to do it.

Comment

Indeed I missed the "i" icon. I believe you are right in terms of the service provided ie. feeding Free Agent on your behalf which is not critical.

Looking at the other thread here is my new list with status :

Qaccounting - still considered as very good, shame they do not have free agent
          Paper rocket accounting - ex SDJ (by the way SDJ service looks awful now) but not clear whether service includes IR35 contract review in their package. Not good IMO.
          Maslins - Good for basics but people are complaining about the lack of personal advice
          Gorilla - Price up and service provided decreased

Need to investigate further
          Dolan
          Aardvark accounting
          Clarity Taxation Limited
          BI Accounting
          Clever Accounts

Comment

Qaccounting - still considered as very good, shame they do not have free agent
            According to their website they do offer FreeAgent. Maybe that's changed since you last looked?

Maslins - Good for basics but people are complaining about the lack of personal advice
            I'm with Maslins, and I've been very happy with their service. My only problem is that they don't have Cyber Essentials (or similar) - that won't affect most contractors, but I need to specify requirements for my supply chain (so that MyCo can get IASME Cyber Assurance), so I think I'll need to move.

Gorilla - Price up and service provided decreased
            I was looking at Gorilla recently, since their website has the Cyber Essentials icon. However, when I checked the IASME website (certificate search), they aren't listed. I queried that with Gorilla, and they said that they're going through the renewal process, which was "due to be completed within the next 2-3 weeks". That was 4 weeks ago, and nothing's changed (i.e. they still have the icon without the certificate). Again, I think that this specific issue won't affect most contractors, but personally I think it's a bit iffy to claim something that you don't have, and it makes me wonder where else they might be stretching the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

According to their website they do offer FreeAgent. Maybe that's changed since you last looked?
              Interesting, can you share the link ? I just had a quick look and they mention they can offer Xero or their in House platform.
              This being said what is good with them is also the service provided around IR35 and I also think they are ex HMRC.

Comment

Interesting, can you share the link ? I just had a quick look and they mention they can offer Xero or their in House platform.
                Here's the link:
                Contractor accounting with a difference - QAccounting
                However, I've just noticed that the page is dated Feb 2011, so they might have ditched FreeAgent in favour of Xero. Sorry about that!

Comment

No worries at all.

BI accounting looks to be a very interesting option. I will give them a call along with Dolan, Aardvark accounting, Paper rocket accounting and Clarity taxation limited.
                  Last edited by philgo; 30 December 2023, 08:18.

Comment

This being said what is good with them is also the service provided around IR35 and I also think they are ex HMRC.
                    No matter how good you think they are, you shouldn't rely on your accountant for IR35 reviews/advice.

( Probably not a great look w/r to the MSC legislation either. )

Comment

Working...
                    X