• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 as you're approaching retirement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    There is no MVL limit, that’s the point of an MVL as distinct from a strike off.
    You are right, I confused it with the limit where you need to appoint a liquidator

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

You are right, I confused it with the limit where you need to appoint a liquidator
      I assumed you meant the voluntary strike off limit in any case.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Heathmount View Post

Only if you have earnings this year of at least £180k. You can only put in max 100% of earnings regardless of how much you have ‘available’ due to carry forward rules.
        yep you're right, but 180k is plenty, not going to be earning more than that, it's next year that I need to worry as the limit is 60k per year.

It's not a bad tax plan putting it all into a sipp, saves an enormous amount of tax.
        ​​
        This is not a platform for tax advice, but it's helpful to see what other people are doing.

one scenario could be that you have 1 million in a sipp, 250k is tax free, then you take 50k out per year paying only 20% tax, effective tax rate of 15%, saving 25%.

​​​​​​​I'm not going to have anywhere near that, but I I can generate 50k per year then I'd be happy

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

HMRC have kicked off a round of IR35 checks with end clients and put the fear of God into them...
          Have you got any further info on this please - do you know which end clients have been contacted?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            I think some of you are forgetting that a SIPP is not just avoiding tax, but deferring it. Sure, you may have a lower marginal rate and no NI in retirement, but you ain’t retaining 90%+ in the long run. SIPP contributions only make sense to a point.
            IMHO it is still a no brainer if you are 55 ( or near to ) and can afford to live off other savings for a few years. Everyone has different circumstances but I hope to give the 90% a run for it's money. Use of times 2 personal tax free allowances, income from ISAs, and use of your 25% tax free out of your SIPP, and the fag packet calculations look good. The freezing of allowances and the govts need to try and balance the books will I think make it tougher to avoid tax moving forward.

Comment

For those who are inside and taking the approach of stashing as much as possible into their SIPP (which is what I'm currently doing), would you be tempted to switch to outside again and all that comes with for a slightly lower daily rate? I've been approached with an outside role but have to ask myself as I am now in my 50's if it's better to stay doing what I'm doing utilising my allowances as well from my lower last 3 years knowing that as from the next tax year I will be limited to 60k salary sacrifice or make the move now to outside again..What is better - stay inside or try outside again?

Comment

Originally posted by bromleygirl View Post
                For those who are inside and taking the approach of stashing as much as possible into their SIPP (which is what I'm currently doing), would you be tempted to switch to outside again and all that comes with for a slightly lower daily rate? I've been approached with an outside role but have to ask myself as I am now in my 50's if it's better to stay doing what I'm doing utilising my allowances as well from my lower last 3 years knowing that as from the next tax year I will be limited to 60k salary sacrifice or make the move now to outside again..What is better - stay inside or try outside again?
                You really need to run the number for both gigs to see which actually is the most tax efficient. You then need to look at your personal situation and decide. No way can we suggest what you do with so little information particularly when the main driver is your personal needs/requirements.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agree and have run the numbers. Using the giant pay calculator, it was very apparent that I am better off sticking with my current set up versus going outside and paying 25% Corporation Tax. Either way, regardless if I'm in or out, I'll still be limited to the 60k pension sacrifice limit.

Comment

Working...
                  X