• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan vs dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post

but that's in the past. So what will it be for this year??? I'd guess 6%, but plan on base rate as the minimum.
    The official rate for 2023 is 2.25% as per the link above.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the forums so don't shoot me down if I missed it.

I have a number of home improvements that need undertaking on my two properties. I was planning on funding these by payment of dividends, but there are two downsides:
      1. 8.75% interest on dividends (basic rate)
      2. 33.75% higher rate tax would be breached

So I got to thinking, wouldn't it be a smarter move to draw up a commercial/beneficial loan from my Ltd company to myself, giving:
      1. A much lower rate, think it's around 2.5% currently
      2. A longer payment schedule
      3. The ability to take more dividends for 'other purposes'

Also, would the loan to me, lower the company's Corporation Tax liability?

Seems like a no-brainer here. What am I missing?

Thanks
      As per Maslins reply above, loans are NOT something to be entered into lightly, or without having done sufficient research (Beneficial Loans). I have arranged a number of such loans over the years, but I have been bitten once when the beneficiary did not repay the full amount. That amount had to be written off in the accounts and still annoys me. Still, lesson learned.

I am currently running such a loan and expect it to run for about 3 to 4 years. I will pay the S.455 charge when it becomes due and then reclaim that amount when the loan is fully repaid... there will be a delay in receiving this repayment, but the saving in interest payments makes this arrangement worthwhile.

This works for me. It might not work for you. Check with your accountant and DO NOT start the process without having done so.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

As per Maslins reply above, loans are NOT something to be entered into lightly, or without having done sufficient research (Beneficial Loans). I have arranged a number of such loans over the years, but I have been bitten once when the beneficiary did not repay the full amount. That amount had to be written off in the accounts and still annoys me. Still, lesson learned.

I am currently running such a loan and expect it to run for about 3 to 4 years. I will pay the S.455 charge when it becomes due and then reclaim that amount when the loan is fully repaid... there will be a delay in receiving this repayment, but the saving in interest payments makes this arrangement worthwhile.

This works for me. It might not work for you. Check with your accountant and DO NOT start the process without having done so.
        I never knew that S.455 payments were reclaimable. I thought is was a totally punitive charge.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I never knew that S.455 payments were reclaimable. I thought is was a totally punitive charge.
          https://www.oneaccounting.co.uk/news...s-loan-repaid/
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is a lag in the return of the funds so there will be an "opportunity cost", but it is repaid.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

I usually go for loans because they're often easier to understand and typically have better interest rates. I needed some money for home stuff once, too. I used <mod snip> a bunch of scammers who edit posts to add links to fraudulent companies</mod snip>. It was easy because I just used my phone, and there was no complicated paperwork. Everything was quick and easy to understand. They showed me different loan choices and clearly stated how much I'd have to pay back and when.
              Last edited by bmg2g; 15 January 2024, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by bmg2g View Post
                I usually go for loans because they're often easier to understand and typically have better interest rates.
                Which is totally at odds with what one of our respected accountants has said and has been proven by the raft of people then posting about not fully understanding loans.

How a loan is easier to understand than a dividend is beyond me.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I usually go for loans because they're often easier to understand and typically have better interest rates.
                  Can you better explain your thinking around this decision?

Dividends are far more straight forward to manage and account for than loans that extend over the company YE + 9 mths IMHO... and I do both where required.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

if less than £10k then. As soon as you have to start calculating interest it gets complicated (one reason accountants don't like them IMO).
                    Unless someone has a director loan interest calculator I've not seen.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X