• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SA software for BADR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA software for BADR

I'm completing self assessment after claiming BADR. What's the best software to do it? I've done it online on HMRC website but don't like how it looks:
    - SA108 cell 36 is X instead of BAD.
    - lack of computations.

Would any tool like taxfiler or Andica cover the above or is it added manually by accountants?

box 36. Just put B A D
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      box 36. Just put B A D
      I don't see an option to change it manually. In terms of computation, I've calculated the disposal using HMRC worksheets but don't see them included.

Comment

no idea then.
        I just looked my tax return for the year I paid CGT.

Dumb question maybe..... but having disposed of enough capital to exceed the £12k threshold, maybe pay a professional £100+ to do it right if you don't know how?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I know how to fill it but the HMRC's tool doesn't let me do it, hence the question about other software on the market. Also, most quotes I'm getting for SA incl BADR are around £300-400. Don't see a point paying that much if there is another way.

Comment

Originally posted by fabios View Post
            I know how to fill it but the HMRC's tool doesn't let me do it, hence the question about other software on the market. Also, most quotes I'm getting for SA incl BADR are around £300-400. Don't see a point paying that much if there is another way.

The website will let you do it if you've filled out the other questions correctly.
            3rd party software will also require you to fill out the other questions correctly, or it too will not put what you're expecting in a particular box.
            This is why you pay for an accountant - you can talk to them in your language, and they translate that into how to tick the correct boxes that allows BAD to be put in the relevant field.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by fabios View Post
              I know how to fill it but the

HMRC's tool doesn't let me
              those 2 are mutually exclusive IMO
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

those 2 are mutually exclusive IMO
                They don't have to be. In most cases accountants use their tools for SA so I wouldn't be surprised if this tool had some limitations.
                I've checked all my boxes and can't really see how to change that box from "X" to "BAD". The only option that fits there on HMRC website is OTH and that doesn't allow for adding BAD later on. I've filled BADR relevant boxes and it doesn't have any impact on that field.

I've been reading this forum for almost 12yrs and it's the only one where to most popular answer is to go to accountant even though so many people (incl. myself) have had some bad experience with their fillings.

Comment

If HMRC's website won't let you do what you want, then you'd need to go for a paper submission (too late to do it), or speak to someone who will go through your return with you and tell you which boxes to tick.
                  You're asking us what is wrong with the "tool", i.e. the HMRC website, and you're wanting to use software that is based on how the website works.
                  Without seeing exactly what you have filled out and exactly how you have done it, none of us will be able to tell you why you have not filled out the web pages correctly.

You keep referring to the tax return forms as "the tool", but they are the actual forms. Any 3rd party software that fills out those forms for you is doing so based on the same set of rules.
                  The limitations of HMRC's tax return forms are best described as PEBKAC.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    You keep referring to the tax return forms as "the tool", but they are the actual forms. Any 3rd party software that fills out those forms for you is doing so based on the same set of rules.
                    The limitations of HMRC's tax return forms are best described as PEBKAC.
                    That's very useful to know. I was expecting 3rd party software to be build more independently allowing for "manual adjustments".

Comment

Working...
                    X