• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No agency KID Document provided!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I can understand that as a point of view, but if the agent says "this is the gross rate", then not sure what else they can say.
    They are paying out an amount. For some contracts that could be going to an umbrella, for others it could be to an Ltd. I don't know how the agent can say what your take home will be, so they can only quote the gross.
    This is why I'm asking the questions.
    If he agreed a gross rate with the agent, and the agent is passing on that gross rate to the umbrella, then in my mind, he should be talking to the umbrella.
    If the agent didn't say it was a gross rate, or is taking NI/AL/etc out of it before passing it on, then to me there's a case.
    So, without our expert knowledge go and ask a random person in the street what "Gross rate" means?

The law says that agencies are required to provide the appropriate Key Information Document

Providing a 'Key information document' for agency workers: guidance for employment businesses (publishing.service.gov.uk) because

From 6 April 2020, employment businesses must give all new agency workers a key information document before agreeing contractual terms. In practice, this means a key information document will need to be one of the first things an employment business gives agency workers
    And equally KID only exist because the only legal rate that can be advertised is a PAYE one - the whole point KIDs were introduced was to allow agencies to play games and advertise rates which aren't PAYE....

Now the agency has already been found guilty of breaking the law. The only question remaining is how / can the OP profit from the situation.... It would be rather funny (and a great incentive for agencies not to screw things up) if the agency ended up with a large NI and holiday pay bill for not following simple processes.
    Last edited by eek; 6 October 2022, 14:01.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

No, I suspect the OP knew the assignment rate for the job and the hours per day but didn't receive the explanation of what it meant.
      I'm trying to get answers for simple questions to see if there appears to be a loss of earnings.

When I did an inside contract before the interview the agency sent me an email of an estimate of how much I would get if I went through them or if I went through an umbrella. They were able to explain over the phone and in writing why there were differences in figures and what each deduction meant.

Then before I got the actual contract I got two further emails with better estimates of the deductions that would be made. I chose them over an umbrella as I got slightly more money and could use a pension provider I already had a pension with. (They actually screwed up my tax so I got a load of money back for one tax year.)
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Now the agency has already been found guilty of breaking the law. The only question remaining is how / can the OP profit from the situation.... It would be rather funny (and a great incentive for agencies not to screw things up) if the agency ended up with a large NI and holiday pay bill for not following simple processes.
        Another question is when did contractorlifer finish working with the agency?

And have contractorlifer complained to the agency AND umbrella that they have made deductions from their wages?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I'm trying to get answers for simple questions to see if there appears to be a loss of earnings.

When I did an inside contract before the interview the agency sent me an email of an estimate of how much I would get if I went through them or if I went through an umbrella. They were able to explain over the phone and in writing why there were differences in figures and what each deduction meant.

Then before I got the actual contract I got two further emails with better estimates of the deductions that would be made. I chose them over an umbrella as I got slightly more money and could use a pension provider I already had a pension with. (They actually screwed up my tax so I got a load of money back for one tax year.)
          My point is that whether the OP knew or not is irrelevant here.

The fact is that if an agency is playing games with advertised rates an appropriate KID is required to explain what the rate is, where the money needs to go and what you will eventually end up receiving in your pay packet.

KIDs were created to solve this issue so

1) they should be being used
          2) there should be serious consequences for not sending them out at the appropriate time when decisions are being made on which contract should I take.

Now in your case clearly everything was done correctly but that isn't always the case. Literally the only thing I've received so far is a document say £x00 a day for a 7 hour day and a request to pick an FCSA umbrella (you can guess who that is)..
          Last edited by eek; 6 October 2022, 14:45.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
          X