• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance/Limited working for EU clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelance/Limited working for EU clients

Hi there,
    My partner and I are UK-based self-employed in the artistic and creative industries. He also has a Limited company here. We're both EU citizens, I am also British.
    We plan starting working with a base in Spain very soon, the idea is to keep working for clients both in the UK and EU/abroad. So we might or might not need to move our legal physical residence to Spain.

We've been advised by Spanish accountants that we could keep the Limited company here in the UK, even should we reside in Spain, and invoice from the UK, in order to avoid the awful Spanish taxation system. The Spanish law allows this. This way we would only pay tax in the UK.

Our questions: Is there no legal limitations to the money we would earn from EU/foreign clients, due to Brexit?
    Also, for the UK law, would we be allowed to reside in Spain and keep invoicing from our UK-based Limited company? If not, would it be best to keep our legal residence in the UK?

Thanks so much in advance to the experts who can help us.

I can't answer some of the questions, but one thing is absolutely clear. Tax residency is more a matter of actual facts rather than choice. And it's very easy to be tax resident in more than one jurisdiction at any one time. At one point recently I was tax resident in three countries at the same time one of which was the UK. How your individual circumstances work out for you, I can't say.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

OP - please remember - we are NOT accountants or lawyers.

if you want expert advice you need to rely on you’ll have to pay for it.

#justsaying
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Generally you pay tax where you do the work. Since you have UK clients then you probably can run this through your UK Ltd company if you are traveling to work there. However if your main residence in Spain you would be obliged to declare it there as well. However due to the double taxation treaty you probably won't pay tax. If you are working for several weeks or months in different European countries, normally you will be required to register and tax yourself there as well. It's very complicated. You could avoid all that and base yourself in the UK working remotely from the UK where you can.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

What they said ^^

however if you want some help sifting through the legislation and mapping out your options, I am happy to have a chat.

Comment

Working...
          X