• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I have to pay myself a salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to pay myself a salary?

I set up a company in 2021 that generates around 10K annually in passive income with very few expenses or work on my part (it is literally just a webpage that sells study notes for certification).

I withdrew around £3000 from the company's account for my own personal use. I am now filling the tax returns and doing this for the first time, I am hesitant to get an accountant at this point given that my turnover isn't that great and the company doesn't have complicated finances.

My question: if I am not bothered about tax efficiency what would be the simplest categorisation of the £3000 that I paid myself, can I just class it as dividend payments, or do I have to pay myself some salary from the company, in which case I have to register through HMRC’s Pay As You Earn system? If it is the latter can I retrospectively register the payment via the system?

Thanks

Originally posted by peterboroughsas View Post
    I set up a company in 2021 that generates around 10K annually in passive income with very few expenses or work on my part (it is literally just a webpage that sells study notes for certification).

I withdrew around £3000 from the company's account for my own personal use. I am now filling the tax returns and doing this for the first time, I am hesitant to get an accountant at this point given that my turnover isn't that great and the company doesn't have complicated finances.

My question: if I am not bothered about tax efficiency what would be the simplest categorisation of the £3000 that I paid myself, can I just class it as dividend payments, or do I have to pay myself some salary from the company, in which case I have to register through HMRC’s Pay As You Earn system? If it is the latter can I retrospectively register the payment via the system?

Thanks
    Just treat it as a dividend and ensure the corporation tax is paid...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks. Just to confirm there are no regulations around paying minimum wage to any director? Also when I withdrew the money from the company's bank account I put in salary as reference for the transaction, does this have any legal implication if I later class it as dividend payment?

Comment

Originally posted by peterboroughsas View Post
        Thanks. Just to confirm there are no regulations around paying minimum wage to any director? Also when I withdrew the money from the company's bank account I put in salary as reference for the transaction, does this have any legal implication if I later class it as dividend payment?
        You don't need to pay yourself a salary and what a bank reference says doesn't really impact anything because no-one is going to see it...

Comment

dividend.

Make sure you do the dividend paperwork (board meeting minutes where you agree to award the shareholders £xxx per share).
          You did have a "board meeting" didn't you?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Get a Mettle account then Freeagent is free

And Freeagent will sort everything out for you including that paperwork..

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              dividend.

Make sure you do the dividend paperwork (board meeting minutes where you agree to award the shareholders £xxx per share).
              You did have a "board meeting" didn't you?
              haha yes indeed it was a very ill-tempered and fractious meeting

Comment

Working...
              X