• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offset mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    What you're asking though, is a different question.
    Your family can give you as much as they want as a gift, which I don't believe HMRC treat as taxable income.
    There is a £3k/year gift allowance per person (your parent) which is exempt from inheritance tax (IHT).
    Above that, if they live for 7 years after the gift you're fine. If not, the gift may be subject to inheritance tax.
    It's a fairly complex area so you should talk to a professional, and them about it.

AFAIK People can gift unlimited amounts providing it comes from income but agree the OP should talk to a professional

Comment

You can get family offset mortgages which does exactly as the name implies.

Family members retain their account as per usual but can be linked to the mortgage holder to provide them with the offset advantage. Goes without saying, the account holder does not earn interest, which is hardly a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2022 View Post

AFAIK People can gift unlimited amounts providing it comes from income but agree the OP should talk to a professional
        Not exactly. You can set up a regular giving from your 'surplus income' without IHT but not give arbitrary one-off gifts. At least not when I looked into it 5-6 years ago. So you could support a wastrel nephew or fund someone through private education, etc.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

For regular gifts, there’s a section on the IHT403 form Gifts Made as Part of Normal Expenditure out of Income where you list income and gifts year by year. I’ve been advised to keep this table maintained and accessible to a potential executor so that it stays outside of IHT in the unfortunate event
          Last edited by ekim; 27 July 2022, 11:04.

Comment

Working...
          X