• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long to keep IR35 insurance up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to keep IR35 insurance up?

My Qdos IR35 insurance is up for renewal shortly. Is there still any point in keeping it for the sake of potential past investigations?

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
    My Qdos IR35 insurance is up for renewal shortly. Is there still any point in keeping it for the sake of potential past investigations?
    Has the limited company been struck off?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Has the limited company been struck off?
      ^^ this

If your company is still trading then there's still risk of an investigation. If you've closed it down then HMRC can't come after something that no longer exists.

Comment

Not enough information, really. If you've closed your company, possibly not. It may be invalid anyway depending on the T&C, but I would keep IPSE (for example) for a year or so (legal expenses cover, not insurance). If it's open/dormant, I would keep it for longer. Realistically, it may be some time after the tax year ended before an investigation is triggered and it may not look like an IR35 investigation for some time on top of that. If you're talking about tax loss insurance, that is pretty much a waste of money. It's the legal expenses insurance that you want and probably want to retain for some period (depending on the above circumstances).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          If you've closed it down then HMRC can't come after something that no longer exists.
          Well, they can, but it would require fraudulent or negligent behavior to transfer any debt to the individual, and you would be extremely stuffed with or without insurance in that case (unlike the MSC legislation, which doesn't have a high bar).

Comment

Company is still trading. Contracting through company, but outside.

The insurance in question is the tax liability cover (TLC35) from Qdos.

But do I really have to have the insurance for as long as the company trades? Isn't there a limit of 6 years after which you no longer need to keep the documents, so that must mean they cannot come after you once 6 years have passed?

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
              Company is still trading. Contracting through company, but outside.

The insurance in question is the tax liability cover (TLC35) from Qdos.

But do I really have to have the insurance for as long as the company trades? Isn't there a limit of 6 years after which you no longer need to keep the documents, so that must mean they cannot come after you once 6 years have passed?
              It depends what sort of outside contracts you're taking. If you have small clients and/or fully overseas supply chains, then nothing has changed. If you don't, then your insurance is probably moot (for contracts that fall under Chapter 10), yes. Then again, TLC35 was always moot, a complete waste of money IMHO.

Regarding timelines for tax enquiries once opened (from the end of the relevant tax year): 4 years normally, 6 years if negligent, 20 years if fraudulent.

Comment

I wonder if QDOS will throw a party when the first TLC35 payout happens
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  If I were them, I wouldn't buy any Party Poppers in anticipation.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    I guess they can afford to. With Dom Perignon all round.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X