• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD and Free Agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD and Free Agent

Yes I know there are various threads re SJD but in all honesty they have been fine with me over the years so not had a problem with them.

Today I am told that because their online portal was hacked, I need to move across to FreeAgent (via SJD). I was actually quite happy with the spreadsheet that those with SJD will be familiar with, but have been told I need to now use Free Agent for all of the general stuff like expenses and invoices.

I guess my question is, for those who use Free Agent if I need to move across to them then what I bang for my buck am I getting from SJD!?!

Well, FA is an excellent piece of software and it does make it very simple to move accountants. But for the same reasons, you may ultimately come to the conclusion that it is better to do your accounts yourself, assuming you are an experienced contractor and on top of your responsibilities. Regardless, if your accountant isn't to your satisfaction, it makes it much easier to move to other accountants that use FA and there are many of them.

But, seriously, you should ditch SJD. Based on the reports here, they are the clownshoe of sensible work attire.

Comment

Originally posted by Funhouse View Post
      Yes I know there are various threads re SJD but in all honesty they have been fine with me over the years so not had a problem with them.
      Nobody has a problem with them, until they have a problem. Everyone that has been badly let down by them were fine with them up to the point of being let down. Leave. Now.
      I guess my question is, for those who use Free Agent if I need to move across to them then what I bang for my buck am I getting from SJD!?!
      Instead of the term 'bang for your buck' insert 'on a wish and a prayer' instead

If you've seen the threads why aren't you heading them? That's just silly.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I guess some folk just can't be helped. Begs the question, why bother to post here at all if you're going to ignore the collective wisdom entirely. It's not like anyone's going to agree with posts like this.

Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I'd suggest moving to another accountants who run FreeAgent. I have just signed up with Clever Accounts for one of my businesses and been really impressed.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
            I'd suggest moving to another accountants who run FreeAgent. I have just signed up with Clever Accounts for one of my businesses and been really impressed.
            aren't Clever one on the list of 'I've been let down by....'? I'm sure I saw that.

I know a customer of theirs personally. They had to leave as EU VAT rules post Brexit were beyond unfathomable to the accountant.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I was a happy'ish customer with SJD for 11 years.

Over that time the service degraded slowly. Akin to a frog being heated slowly in a sauce pan, I didn't really notice the problems.

Then the issues started to get unavoidable. The non-stop procession of "Accountants" handling my account end up with a graduate kid that didn't even know how dividends should be treated for tax. Every question was answered with "I will have to check that with a senior accountant..." or "I'm still waiting for my mangers response..."

Outstanding EOY account filling was chased to the point of threatening legal action and I began the process of finding another firm.

Shortly after that, news of a data breach was drip feed in obfuscated emails about service interruptions and SJD closed their doors to customer questions.

It's taken 2 months to move my affairs to another accountancy firm, but the service provided by Gorilla accounting has been exceptional. Including daily chases of SJD for missing documentation and helping me file backdated VAT returns that SJD had lied about filing themselves.

TL;DR

Find an alternative accountancy firm as soon as possible. The difference in skill and service will be amazing and you'll save money too. SJD charges are extremely high for what's on offer.
              Wibble

Comment

I have been waiting for SJD to complete an accountant certificate since mid March. They are uncontactable via email or phone. Sometimes you may get to speak to someone. They moved me 'accountants' several times in last few years. Eventually said their printers, scanners & phones were not working & took weeks to send unsigned / unstamped / not on company headed paper - accounts details to my mortgage company. They completed my 2021 accounts 2 weeks ago & I'm off to another accountants imminently.

Comment

Originally posted by Cr1spy View Post
                  I was a happy'ish customer with SJD for 11 years.

Over that time the service degraded slowly. Akin to a frog being heated slowly in a sauce pan, I didn't really notice the problems.

Then the issues started to get unavoidable. The non-stop procession of "Accountants" handling my account end up with a graduate kid that didn't even know how dividends should be treated for tax. Every question was answered with "I will have to check that with a senior accountant..." or "I'm still waiting for my mangers response..."

Outstanding EOY account filling was chased to the point of threatening legal action and I began the process of finding another firm.

Shortly after that, news of a data breach was drip feed in obfuscated emails about service interruptions and SJD closed their doors to customer questions.

It's taken 2 months to move my affairs to another accountancy firm, but the service provided by Gorilla accounting has been exceptional. Including daily chases of SJD for missing documentation and helping me file backdated VAT returns that SJD had lied about filing themselves.

TL;DR

Find an alternative accountancy firm as soon as possible. The difference in skill and service will be amazing and you'll save money too. SJD charges are extremely high for what's on offer.
                  I agree with this comment. I have been Gorilla for a while now and the service I have has been excellent. Regular reminders, proactive reviews and tax planning helps me work tax efficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by yamyam View Post
                    I have been waiting for SJD to complete an accountant certificate since mid March. They are uncontactable via email or phone. Sometimes you may get to speak to someone. They moved me 'accountants' several times in last few years. Eventually said their printers, scanners & phones were not working & took weeks to send unsigned / unstamped / not on company headed paper - accounts details to my mortgage company. They completed my 2021 accounts 2 weeks ago & I'm off to another accountants imminently.
                    Do you research, ring them up and speak to the accountant so that you know who you will be dealing with and how your queries will be handled. One of the good thing among others I like about Gorilla is that I get direct access to my accountant.

Happy to share my referral if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X