• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing multiple laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    You're overcomplicating it. Just keep it as a company asset. Once it's depreciated, take it out of the books (i.e. tell you accountant it's not used anymore, broken, etc.) Now you can do with it what you please.
    He is over complicating it but I don't think that is the right answer. For a start you saying lie to your accountant and he can't do what he pleases. Just because it's depreciated on the books doesn't mean it's worthless. I think you have gone 180 and are over simplifying it there.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

He is over complicating it but I don't think that is the right answer. For a start you saying lie to your accountant and he can't do what he pleases. Just because it's depreciated on the books doesn't mean it's worthless. I think you have gone 180 and are over simplifying it there.
      agreed.

It needs disposing of. And if disposing of it means it has been sold personally that needs to be handled correctly.

Once my older laptop is no longer needed I email the accountant "device xxxx has aged beyond it's useful lifetime and has been recycled".
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

agreed.

It needs disposing of. And if disposing of it means it has been sold personally that needs to be handled correctly.

Once my older laptop is no longer needed I email the accountant "device xxxx has aged beyond it's useful lifetime and has been recycled".
        Yea exactly! It's not about me expensing or writing off multiple laptops to gain the system, give them away, etc.

I wanted to know simply what would happen if I were to expense my work laptop now but later decided to upgrade and wanted to convert this one back to personal needs, or sell it on eBay.

The title is a bit misleading.
        Last edited by PK2; 1 May 2022, 09:32.

Comment

Working...
        X