• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to weigh up Inside vs Outside opportunities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Sorry, is this thread supposed to be one to help ME, not help you?
    No, it's widely known that you are way beyond help

Comment

There are more pros and cons about the actual work than there is about the money IMO. Firstly I'd be looking at the content of the contracts and what it brings to you. Extra knowledge, location, type of work, length etc which would give me an idea how much I'd do the gig for and THEN you can look at the money. Even with a dip in income an interesting, new tech, exciting gig can still be the one to pic.

If your sole comparison is take home then fill your boots but IMO there is much more to it than that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        There are more pros and cons about the actual work than there is about the money IMO. Firstly I'd be looking at the content of the contracts and what it brings to you. Extra knowledge, location, type of work, length etc which would give me an idea how much I'd do the gig for and THEN you can look at the money. Even with a dip in income an interesting, new tech, exciting gig can still be the one to pic.

If your sole comparison is take home then fill your boots but IMO there is much more to it than that.
        Yes, fair point. Congrats on maing the first response to my post which exceeds caveman intellect btw!

Comment

A (theoretical) less autonomy inside - you're told where, how and when possibly to do your job. How you do it. Have to ask for holiday, that sort of thing.

Of course that's theory, and there are of course """outside""" jobs that have a lot of control and supervision , mutuality of obligation, no substitution etc. and """"inside"""" jobs that are outside in everything but name but just pay a lot to cover tax. But that's how it's meant to work.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            A (theoretical) less autonomy inside - you're told where, how and when possibly to do your job. How you do it. Have to ask for holiday, that sort of thing.

Of course that's theory, and there are of course """outside""" jobs that have a lot of control and supervision , mutuality of obligation, no substitution etc. and """"inside"""" jobs that are outside in everything but name but just pay a lot to cover tax. But that's how it's meant to work.
            Indeed in theory you'd choose inside vs outside based on desire for autonomy/aversion to micromanagment or a preference to just turn up, follow orders and get paid without having to worry as much about the bigger picture.
            But as you say where theory meets reality here it's often as clear as mud.

Comment

Working...
            X