• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Higher Rate Stamp duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher Rate Stamp duty

Hi,

Sorry if this isnt really the right spot for this - but maybe some people can advise as things arent looking good.

I personally own a rental property in NZ (bought 2015 - never lived in it). In 2017 my wife and I sold our flat ('main residence') in London as we thought we would leave the country. Due to life circumstances we stayed and have rented since then, riding out covid and having a baby. We have now had an offer accepted on a house (after looking for 18months) and was about to fill the conveyancing info gathering forms one of which was about higher rate stamp duty which I'd never even heard of!

It seems to have been setup to stop / tax individuals accumlating and flipping BTLs. But all I want to do is buy a house for my wife and daughter as a main residence. It seems I wouldnt of had to pay the higher rate Stamp Duty if I had bought another main residence within 3 years of sale of old one (who knew...). Its 26k extra stamp duty and basically prevents me from buying this or any house for my family in the UK.

Am I missing something - is there a practical way around this? (aside from lying). It doesnt really sound fair!

Since when are taxes fair?

I hadn't realised owning a property abroad meant paying the higher rate stamp duty even if you're buying your first (or only) house in the UK, but it looks like that's the way it is.

Other than lying (not recommended, obviously), selling the house in NZ would be another route, and you should then be able to claim the 3% back from your UK purchase so long as the sale is made within 3 years. But, check with your solicitor on this.

Getting divorced and the splitting assets would be a more drastic solution....

The tax wasn't just put in place for BTL owners - it was a general wealth tax on those that could afford multiple properties and/or part of the tax grab on landlords.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 29 September 2021, 16:43.

Comment

A cursory Google does confirm that the extra SDLT is payable even if the second home you own is overseas.

As Paralytic says, it's a tax on anyone owning more than one property, irrespective of the reason why.

As you say the NZ property is personally owned by you, does that mean it's in your name only? Is is feasible for your new UK home to be in your wife's name only as she doesn't own property anywhere else? That's the only way I can see you getting around it and as IANAL I don't know if that'll wash.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        As you say the NZ property is personally owned by you, does that mean it's in your name only? Is is feasible for your new UK home to be in your wife's name only as she doesn't own property anywhere else? That's the only way I can see you getting around it and as IANAL I don't know if that'll wash.
        That doesn't not work. For SDLT purposes, HMRC treats married couples as a single unit, and a property owned by one is deemed to be owned by both for the second property additional tax.

See https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for...-second-homes/

If a property is in my spouse’s name can we dodge the additional stamp duty rate?

For stamp duty purposes a married couple, or civil partners, are classed as one unit by HMRC. So, if one owns a buy-to-let property and the other buys a property the second home stamp duty rate still applies. This can make things expensive if you are separating and need to buy another home for one partner.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

That doesn't not work. For SDLT purposes, HMRC treats married couples as a single unit, and a property owned by one is deemed to be owned by both for the second property additional tax.

See https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for...-second-homes/
          Pah! Those dastardly tax persons. Well it did have a feeling of 'too good to be true' as I typed it out. There'd be dodges galore if that little loophole existed.

Comment

If you sell it (NZ house)within 3 years of buying your UK house you can get the additional tax refunded. It's an HMRC form and they cough up in a few weeks.
            Your conveyancer has told you this surely?

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              If you sell it (NZ house)within 3 years of buying your UK house you can get the additional tax refunded. It's an HMRC form and they cough up in a few weeks.
              Your conveyancer has told you this surely?
              Don't know about that, but i did, waaaay back in post #2.

KUATB

Comment

sadly selling the NZ house wont trigger a refund, i'm told (as its not a main residence, ive never lived in it.). Nor would selling the new UK house within 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bubble99 View Post
                  sadly selling the NZ house wont trigger a refund, i'm told (as its not a main residence, ive never lived in it.). Nor would selling the new UK house within 3 years.
                  Reading further, this does seem to be the case.

Divorce it is, then?

Comment

Working...
                  X