• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on market ticketed entry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on market ticketed entry

Hi, we are running some one-off markets, with various stalls, and maybe some live music being played. Should we be charging the hospitality rate of VAT, 5% (12.5% from 1st October), or standard rated VAT (20%)?

Originally posted by interestedparty View Post
    Hi, we are running some one-off markets, with various stalls, and maybe some live music being played. Should we be charging the hospitality rate of VAT, 5% (12.5% from 1st October), or standard rated VAT (20%)?
    Ask your accountant, the hospitality rate is for defined items so it's possible it may depend
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The guidance is here but, yes, ask your accountant

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-redu...nd-attractions

Comment

Talk to your accountant BUT from what you seem to be saying the VAT rates will probably differ per item being invoiced. It will probably make invoice creation a ball ache.
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
          Talk to your accountant BUT from what you seem to be saying the VAT rates will probably differ per item being invoiced. It will probably make invoice creation a ball ache.
          We are only providing the location for the market, so the individual stall-holders pay us, which I believe is exempt as far as VAT is concerned - so it's not complicated or a per item situation in that sense. We usually don't sell tickets for these markets, but a few times a year we tie them in with cultural performances from local musicians, dancers, etc - and these are the ones we sell tickets for.

Comment

Originally posted by interestedparty View Post

We are only providing the location for the market, so the individual stall-holders pay us, which I believe is exempt as far as VAT is concerned - so it's not complicated or a per item situation in that sense. We usually don't sell tickets for these markets, but a few times a year we tie them in with cultural performances from local musicians, dancers, etc - and these are the ones we sell tickets for.
            The ticketed entry (normally standard rated for vat) will qualify for the reduced hospitality rate 12.5% from 1st October.

Pitch fees are exempt from VAT

Need to check out the VAT Partial Exemption Rules to see if they apply - if they do then your vat input tax claims are going to be restricted.

Comment

Originally posted by john@UKCA View Post
              The ticketed entry (normally standard rated for vat) will qualify for the reduced hospitality rate 12.5% from 1st October.

Pitch fees are exempt from VAT

Need to check out the VAT Partial Exemption Rules to see if they apply - if they do then your vat input tax claims are going to be restricted.
              Thanks, this fits in with my understanding now that I've looked deeper into it :-)

Comment

Working...
              X