• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I rent a home as a contractor working via an umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I rent a home as a contractor working via an umbrella company

I recently started contracting through an umbrella company and am in my second month of a 6 month contract. I currently rent and want to move and rent somewhere else but am worried that I may have a problem being accepted.

I have an excellent credit rating, good relationship with my current landlord etc. but am not able to get a guarantor. Will I be seen as just a temporary worker that is very high risk and what would a letting agency/ landlord want to see in terms of reference checks?

I would be able to provide 6 months rent upfront but I've read that this could be misconstrued as looking like a criminal in disguise! Any experiences/ knowledge shared would be appreciated.

I don't see why not. You're an employee, not self-employed, and you'll have payslips that show how much you're taking home. Much like any employee, it's not unusual to have recently changed jobs. As you say you've only recently started contracting I'm assuming you have payslips from your previous job too?

There's affordability checks that will be done which are based on a multiple of your income so having savings in the bank, as inferred from your ability to pay upfront, can be offered as evidence that you're good for the rent if your income doesn't match what they need.

Comment

Worried why?

Comment

What LM says. You are actually in a better position being through a brolly a you don't have to hope the landlord/agents understand LTD contracting. Only issue might be if they want a couple of months payslips beyond the time you were at the brolly.

But IMO you've nothing to worry about if you meet the affordability criteria. They won't see you as a temp working, you are employed so happy days.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You should not have anything to worry about.
          The 6 months rent upfront can be construed by some as an indication of "indoor farming" but not always. Most "indoor farmers" try and pay the lot upfront.
          Have you tried OpenRent to deal direct?
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Working...
          X