• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-UK Resident Director of UK Ltd Company - All work performed outside the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notwithstanding what _V_ said, BB and I are entirely in agreement. Just different ways of saying it. I think my formulation of the rules is simpler.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In fact regardless of residency you are liable for tax where ever you physically are when you earn income.
    FTFY, to be entirely accurate. If you are resident in Mongolia, but come to the UK and work for a week, you are liable for tax in the UK for that week. Even if you never return to the UK and don't have a British passport. In practice, it never happens, because it's just not worth the admin. It's also easy to be under the radar.

If you own shares in a US company you will be liable for tax on the dividends in the US even if you never go there
    Many countries have dual taxation agreements, whereby the withholding tax is credited to your domestic tax bill. So this is true, but mainly moot.

If you work in the UK for 3 months temporarily you will be non-resident but you are still liable for tax.
    On the money you earned while there. Wherever the customer was.

residency will determine the level of tax you pay and whether you have to declare worldwide income.
    Yes. Unless you're a US or NK citizen...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      I chuckle at the fact no one here can agree on where tax should be paid, and how much. I also smile when I think that the big tech companies achieve the goal of paying almost no tax anywhere, regardless of where the business is located, and regardless of where the income is generated. Then a bigger smile when I think no tax authority in any country takes the blind bit of notice of their blatant tax evasion.

Must watch documentaries on this subject (the first has great cameos from Chomsky and Naomi Klein, while the second has a cameo from one of my favourite authors, Chris Hedges)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/
      https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12575636/

Even as a corporation, being an immortal legal entity, gained many of the rights in the US under Ronald Reagan in the 1980s associated with being human, it's important to note that the full power of this legal category has always been denied smaller businesses with small numbers of officers/ staff. Ostensibly to combat "sham" corporate setups designed for tax avoidance, a variety of anti-avoidance measures and rules were introduced, that arguably have only raised the bar to require more sophisticated expensive sham corporate setups using opaque intermediaries to evade scrutiny.

A one man-PSC is a natural casualty of this process.
      ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by BoaContractor View Post
        • Joe Bloggs is a Director of ABC Ltd company incorporated in the UK.
        • Joe Bloggs is a UK citizen currently holding non-UK resident status according to RDR3 SRT (currently living in Dubai).
        • All of the work that Joe Bloggs does for ABC Ltd is performed outside of the UK.
        • ABC Ltd Bills UK based companies for the services it provides.
        • ABC Ltd will pay Joe Bloggs into his UK personal bank account. (the money can just sit there - there is no requirement to transfer it abroad)
        [LIST=1]
        Based on the above and say, £100k revenue.

Can the director just take a £90k salary (tax free) and pay corporation tax on what remains of the £10k after deducting expenses?

Comment

Assuming you had a NT tax code, you may still be liable for UK NI. This could be as much as £15K (roughly £10K employers', £5K employees NI) on £90K salary. Research NT tax codes.
          ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Notwithstanding what _V_ said, BB and I are entirely in agreement. Just different ways of saying it. I think my formulation of the rules is simpler.

FTFY, to be entirely accurate. If you are resident in Mongolia, but come to the UK and work for a week, you are liable for tax in the UK for that week. Even if you never return to the UK and don't have a British passport. In practice, it never happens, because it's just not worth the admin. It's also easy to be under the radar.

Many countries have dual taxation agreements, whereby the withholding tax is credited to your domestic tax bill. So this is true, but mainly moot.

On the money you earned while there. Wherever the customer was.

Yes. Unless you're a US or NK citizen...
            Just a point but you don't even need to be physically there to be liable for tax. There are forms of income that don't require you to physically be somewhere to work.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

You usually have to pay tax on your UK income even if you’re not a UK resident. Income includes things like:
            • pension
            • rental income
            • savings interest
            • wages
            eg savings interest and pensions, also capital gains on property.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 June 2021, 09:36.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think this article is really important for this thread.

Employees working abroad
              https://www.gov.uk/guidance/paying-e...working-abroad

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Whatever. The rules are clear and in accordance with my excellent summary.

Btw, if you are an expat, look at paying class 2 voluntary contributions. £3,05 a week, and that brings in a minimum ~£7K UK pension yearly.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                  I looked into this carefully

Answer is:

Take a 12.5K UK salary OR
                  Take as much as like you like in dividends (not taxed in UK if you are non resident) but you lose your personal allownace

Plenty on this topic here https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-...n-uk-residents

For me i ended up taking the personal allownace and no dividend but that was because of rental income
                  Hello, can you confirm that non-residents do not pay taxes on dividends in UK? Because my accountant told me otherwise. His response is this:

"UK income is always subject to UK tax but you get relief in your country of residence"

Comment

Working...
                  X