• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in RoI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract in RoI

Hi, I've been offered a contract in the Republic of Ireland which sounds very interested, but I want to understand the tax implications of being a UK-based contractor working remotely (and paid in Euro). I've heard that RoI has 0%VAT for exports, do I count as an "export" and if so, would then be liable to pay 20% VAT to the UK treasury? Any advice gladly received!!

<snipped>
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 3 June 2021, 12:16.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You don't specify what kind of service you'd be supplying but as a general rule, consultancy services supplied from a UK business to a business outside the UK are outside the scope of UK VAT. That means even if you're VAT registered, you would not charge VAT - instead the Irish client would account for VAT under the reverse charge system.

Being paid in Euro makes no difference to anything, other than the fact that you'd need to account for currency exchange gains/losses between the invoice date and the payment date but any decent bookkeeping software should handle that for you.

Apart from that, you need to consider all of the usual things...if you're operating through a Ltd company you are responsible for applying IR35 rules.

Comment

Working...
      X