• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I/We really need Public Liability Insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I/We really need Public Liability Insurance?

Had Public Liability Insurance in the past. Current one expired last week. Given that most of us are fully working from home, is there need for it?

Contract terms say "Limited company will maintain at all times adequate insurance policies in respect of the provision of the Services, including employers’ liability, public liability and professional indemnity insurance."

Professional Indemnity is required that makes sense but Liability Insurance?, I am not sure.

I don't see why public liability is really needed. It's to cover people on your premises that aren't your employees. I've never held PLI.

Comment

I always have it (my clients usually want to see the certs, too) and it costs me £55 per year, so not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
        Had Public Liability Insurance in the past. Current one expired last week. Given that most of us are fully working from home, is there need for it?
        Not really but think of it from the client perspective. They don't want to be running the risk you didn't get it again when you started back to site and they can't be arsed running round after contractors to make sure they've re-bought it before coming back to site. So they direct you have all insurances as part of the contract and then everyone is covered and nothing falls through the cracks.

If it's a contractual term as you say then just get it and move on. It's not for you to dictate what policies you do or don't want to get. Client requires it, it costs peanuts so get it and move on.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Not really but think of it from the client perspective. They don't want to be running the risk you didn't get it again when you started back to site and they can't be arsed running round after contractors to make sure they've re-bought it before coming back to site. So they direct you have all insurances as part of the contract and then everyone is covered and nothing falls through the cracks.

If it's a contractual term as you say then just get it and move on. It's not for you to dictate what policies you do or don't want to get. Client requires it, it costs peanuts so get it and move on.
          But that's not the purpose of PLI.

You don't need PLI if you're on the client's site as their PLI covers you.

Comment

I've bought it in the past when a contract stipulates it as a requirement.
            For the £20-£30 it costs it's not worth the argument.

And if the argument you have is, "I'm not really a business I'm just a bum on a seat so I don't need it", be careful what you wish for.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So, in a nutshell.

It's not legally required and it's not needed for a home office environment where you don't host physical meetings. However it is quite cheap for a basic level of cover if contractually required.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

But that's not the purpose of PLI.

You don't need PLI if you're on the client's site as their PLI covers you.
                Not if you're on an Outside gig. If there is something that you do that causes an accident on site then the client will be seeking to make a claim against you.

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post

Not if you're on an Outside gig. If there is something that you do that causes an accident on site then the client will be seeking to make a claim against you.
                  I beg to differ (bold is from the original source, not me):

Public liability insurance covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection with your business activities.

Public liability insurance covers the cost of compensation for:
                  • personal injuries
                  • loss of or damage to property
                  • death

Policies vary from insurer to insurer, but most public liability policies cover you for:
                  • incidents that occur on your business premises
                  • incidents that take place off-site, at events or activities organised by your company
                  https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-...ity-insurance/

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I beg to differ (bold is from the original source, not me):

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-...ity-insurance/
                    But also

https://www.contractoruk.com/insuran...liability.html

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance covers compensation you have to pay a client or member of the public due to accidental injury or property damage. This could be something that happened at your business premises such as a client slipping on a wet floor, or something outside your workplace such as an employee spilling coffee over a client’s computer when visiting their office.

Public liability insurance will provide your business with important protection if you:
                    • Deal with the public
                    • Have clients visiting your home office or business premises
                    • If you or an employee visit your clients’ offices
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X