• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have to make a decision imminently - i.e. PAYE or PSC. Would be grateful for a steer.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening everyone

Thanks for the helpful comments. I had to go PAYE today but at least I still have a job. Sorry if I wasn't sufficiently clear in my original post. I have worked for the end client for 18 months. I completed a QDOS SDS and was deemed Outside. However my end client disagreed with a number of my answers and overruled me, and this meant they deemed me Inside.

What was particularly frustrating was that it was the Commercial/Legal team that disagreed with my answers. The Operations team, people with whom I work day in day out agreed that my answers were correct. But they advised me that it was not a fight they/we were likely to win. The end client is fairly large with £5bn annual turnover and have made their decision, and my spies in the Commercial team tell me not a single Contractor (one man/woman band) has been allowed to to continue with their PSC. So although I was being told last week by the Ops team that I had a chance, further discussion with their Commercial colleagues put them straight.

Some of my colleagues have the luxury of walking. Sadly I have no savings and had to consider my ability to meet my financial outgoings, particularly as my husband is looking for work.

Hopefully the landscape will change in the future, and my next contract will be deemed Outside.

Thanks again for the help and advice.
    Amanda x

Comment

Originally posted by amandakclose View Post
      Thanks for the helpful comments. I had to go PAYE today but at least I still have a job.
      You job is being a contractor. You do that if you have a client or not. What you have is a gig, not a job.
      Sorry if I wasn't sufficiently clear in my original post. I have worked for the end client for 18 months. I completed a QDOS SDS and was deemed Outside. However my end client disagreed with a number of my answers and overruled me, and this meant they deemed me Inside.
      Which is exactly why asking the contractor is just ridiculous. Why do they do it that way? Pointless.
      What was particularly frustrating was that it was the Commercial/Legal team that disagreed with my answers. The Operations team, people with whom I work day in day out agreed that my answers were correct. But they advised me that it was not a fight they/we were likely to win. The end client is fairly large with £5bn annual turnover and have made their decision, and my spies in the Commercial team tell me not a single Contractor (one man/woman band) has been allowed to to continue with their PSC. So although I was being told last week by the Ops team that I had a chance, further discussion with their Commercial colleagues put them straight.
      Again fairly unsurprising. The people on the ground don't dictate or manage corporate agreements with suppliers. Right of Substitution would have been one and where the guys on the ground would say yeah fine they would most certainly do an about turn when you tried pulling it. Some stuff is beyond the operations guys paygrade, particularly in a large organisation. To believe the operations people have the power to accept the responsiblity to take on the risk and outside SDS would is a bit of a noobie error to say the least.
      Some of my colleagues have the luxury of walking. Sadly I have no savings and had to consider my ability to meet my financial outgoings, particularly as my husband is looking for work.
      But there is plenty of work out there with the merry go round of people leaving. It's tough but you are now the highest risk catagory for retro inspection and have a good 18 months for them to claw back. You should have gotten this sorted months ago, particularly if choices were so limited.
      Hopefully the landscape will change in the future, and my next contract will be deemed Outside.
      Well you need to be looking for it very quickly. You are at risk now. The quicker you get out and off the radar the better.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Off-topic posts removed.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
        X