• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative to savings account?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Yep, that's what we're thinking. At least there's the chance of winning something, which makes it a bit more appealing than just getting 0.5% interest.

Will probably buy a bit of gold too just in case post-covid everything turns to shyte.
    I like premium bonds. I've had the maximum for years and my luck appears to be "average" based on their estimated "interest rate". (Sadly) I have a spreadsheet which tracks it. Best year was 1.65%, worst year was 1.05%. Certainly fits the "very little risk" bill. Gold...er..not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sludgesurfer View Post

I like premium bonds. I've had the maximum for years and my luck appears to be "average" based on their estimated "interest rate". (Sadly) I have a spreadsheet which tracks it. Best year was 1.65%, worst year was 1.05%. Certainly fits the "very little risk" bill. Gold...er..not so much.
      the best thing about premium bonds is the risk. If you have £50k in a bank it might not be safe. Bonds always will be.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

the best thing about premium bonds is the risk. If you have £50k in a bank it might not be safe. Bonds always will be.
        Which (dodgy) banks are you using? The FSCS underwrites the first £85K (£170K for joint accounts)

And yes, always worth a punt on the PBs just in case of a big win, but the effective interest rate took a hit recently IIRC, and watch out for inflation chipping away at the value of the holding.

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post

Which (dodgy) banks are you using? The FSCS underwrites the first £85K (£170K for joint accounts)

And yes, always worth a punt on the PBs just in case of a big win, but the effective interest rate took a hit recently IIRC, and watch out for inflation chipping away at the value of the holding.
          awww. bless....

they changed the rules after the financial crisis.
          If one bank fails FSCS will protect you. If all the banks might fail BOE reserve the right to haircut the accounts like they did in Cyprus.
          The FSCS don't have any money. They aren't in a position to cover any money. They can only do so at the behest of the gov, or BOE.

Whilst it might take a severe financial shock to threaten that money, it's not beyond possible.

Whereas Premium bonds aren't a bank. They are safe. Except from QE/devaluation/inflation.
          Last edited by Lance; 23 March 2021, 20:44.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Nothing is truly 100% safe (even your house ) - it all depends on circumstances. Ultimately, the gov't can do whatever it wants in a crisis that (eventually) has the support of Parliament, but there are some things that it is very unlikely to do. In practice, it is rather unlikely that an FSCS-protected account would receive a haircut (notwithstanding any misunderstanding of the concept of a banking license). Likewise, it's rather unlikely that the Treasury would fail to meet its obligations because Even Worse Things Would Then Ensue.

Comment

Which is why I like the idea of having a bit of physical gold as insurance against the unthinkable.

The chances of us ending up like this may be extremely remote but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperi...eimar_Republic
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
              X