• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dutch contractor living in UK but working (remote) in the Netherlands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch contractor living in UK but working (remote) in the Netherlands

Hi all,

Looking for some guidance and would appreciate your thoughts.

I'm a Dutch national and have lived in the UK for 3 years now. I have a pre-settled status and no National Insurance number. I'm a freelance IT consultant and my limited company is based in the Netherlands. I currently have a Dutch client and all my invoices are paid to my Dutch bank account and all my taxes are paid in the Netherlands. Because of this situation I have no tax footprint in the UK (and never requested a NI number)

My 3 questions:

1) Do I need to create a UK tax footprint if I remain in the above situation?
    2) Would I need to create a tax footprint if I started contracting for a UK client (but still kept invoicing from my Dutch company and paid my taxes there)? And finally:
    3) The Dutch tax authority have requested me to obtain a signature on an income statement from HMRC confirming that I had no income here in the UK for the past 3 years. But HMRC have indicated that they do not have any registration of me, and hence can't/ won't sign anything. HMRC told me that I can request a Certificate of Residence, but that would only prove that I lived in the UK - not that I had no income. I'm looking for a way to provide the Dutch tax authority the proof it is looking for that I've had no tax footprint in the UK the past 3 years. Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

Kind regards,

Jasper

I'm afraid you may be in a bit of a pickle. Tax is due where you live. You are tax resident in the UK, probably not in NL.

I suggest you find yourself a tax accountant and ask them to sort the mess out. You should have been paying tax in the UK for the past three years, not in the the Netherlands.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by JasperL View Post
      Hi all,

Looking for some guidance and would appreciate your thoughts.

I'm a Dutch national and have lived in the UK for 3 years now. I have a pre-settled status and no National Insurance number. I'm a freelance IT consultant and my limited company is based in the Netherlands. I currently have a Dutch client and all my invoices are paid to my Dutch bank account and all my taxes are paid in the Netherlands. Because of this situation I have no tax footprint in the UK (and never requested a NI number)

My 3 questions:

1) Do I need to create a UK tax footprint if I remain in the above situation?
      2) Would I need to create a tax footprint if I started contracting for a UK client (but still kept invoicing from my Dutch company and paid my taxes there)? And finally:
      3) The Dutch tax authority have requested me to obtain a signature on an income statement from HMRC confirming that I had no income here in the UK for the past 3 years. But HMRC have indicated that they do not have any registration of me, and hence can't/ won't sign anything. HMRC told me that I can request a Certificate of Residence, but that would only prove that I lived in the UK - not that I had no income. I'm looking for a way to provide the Dutch tax authority the proof it is looking for that I've had no tax footprint in the UK the past 3 years. Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

Kind regards,

Jasper
      Wow, What made you think ANY tax was payable in NL?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Oh dear. This one's a real mess. OP has this 180 degrees the wrong way round. HMRC are, on the face if it, going to want 3 years tax returns followed by tax demands.

OP, you have a serious situation here. If you live and work in the UK you have to pay your taxes here. Best plan is to come clean with HMRC and tell them it is a genuine misunderstanding that you wish to put right. The dual tax treaty will ensure you don't pay double tax on the same money. Good luck.
        Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 27 January 2021, 18:58.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
        X