• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT - UK sole trader providing services to Italian VAT registered company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT - UK sole trader providing services to Italian VAT registered company

Newie here. I am hoping for some tips and guidance.

I have set myself up as (UK based) sole trader providing consultancy services for a company (VAT registered) in Italy. My interactions were with the UK based team, but the head office is based in Italy and they will pay me. I have now sent my invoice to them for services provided in Nov/Dec 2020. I dated the invoice 30th December 2020 (transition period). I did not charge VAT as I am not anywhere near the £85K mark.

They have asked me for my VAT number and whether I am registered with VIES (VAT Information Exchange System).

My questions/ confusion:
    - Do I need to register for VAT as sole trader? In the UK? In Italy?
    - If I must, is it the UK or Italian VAT?
    - What should/ must I consider?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Originally posted by binflo1 View Post
    Newie here. I am hoping for some tips and guidance.

I have set myself up as (UK based) sole trader providing consultancy services for a company (VAT registered) in Italy. My interactions were with the UK based team, but the head office is based in Italy and they will pay me. I have now sent my invoice to them for services provided in Nov/Dec 2020. I dated the invoice 30th December 2020 (transition period). I did not charge VAT as I am not anywhere near the £85K mark.

They have asked me for my VAT number and whether I am registered with VIES (VAT Information Exchange System).

My questions/ confusion:
    - Do I need to register for VAT as sole trader? In the UK? In Italy?
    - If I must, is it the UK or Italian VAT?
    - What should/ must I consider?

Thanks a lot for your time.
    if you're not registered for VAT then just tell them that.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you're no where near the VAT registration limit and don't want to be VAT registered then you don't have to. As Lance has said, just tell them you're not VAT registered. Simples.

Comment

Some EU countries have very low VAT thresholds so its very uncommon for businesses to not be VAT registered so it might not even occur to them that you are not VAT registered. They just assume that everyone has a VAT number.

Simply tell them that you are below the UK registration threshold and therefore do not have a VAT number.

Even if you were VAT registered you wouldn't be charging them VAT as it would be outside the scope of UK VAT.

Comment

Working...
        X