• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL or keeping company around?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL or keeping company around?

I am considering moving to a permanent role. A few weeks ago I posted some questions about MVL assuming that was the best option.

I thought about it some more over the holidays and had a different thought. What if I instead gifted my wife the remaining the shares in the company? She could pay herself less than £50k a year and the effective tax rate would be lower than the CGT.

Are there any accounting/legal issues with this or anything else I'm not thinking about?

Thanks!

Have a search using the Google search method. This exact question has been asked in the last few weeks.

Edit - oh it was you. Did you not get enough of an understanding from that thread?

Looking briefly at your question. Surely gifting your wife shares for no other reason than to gain a tax advantage is exactly what aggressive anti avoidance rules exist for no?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 28 December 2020, 13:34.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Have a search using the Google search method. This exact question has been asked in the last few weeks.

Edit - oh it was you. Did you not get enough of an understanding from that thread?

Looking briefly at your question. Surely gifting your wife shares for no other reason than to gain a tax advantage is exactly what aggressive anti avoidance rules exist for no?
      Not really as that was covered by the arctic ruling - it's an interesting question that I actually would like to see an accountants viewpoint but I don't think it makes much sense. Better to take the 10% hit now rather than hoping that dividend tax rates aren't increased.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes, the risk is that the dividend tax rates are increased. Even still, if she just drew up to the tax free allowance for a number of years, that helps with childcare etc.

My accountant wasn’t so sure about the Business Asset Disposal Relief rules and the 2 year waiting period that I think affects my wife’s shares. I did ask them to refer me to someone who did.

With the budget just around the corner, I need to consider all options quickly.

Comment

Working...
        X