• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corporation tax and Dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporation tax and Dividends

It's a popular misconception that Ltd. company contractors enjoy great tax benefits over permanent employees. Even some contractors believe it. Nonsense, unfortunately. The element people forget is of course corporation tax, that bites 19% out of everything bar the first £12,500.

The calculations are somewhat involved but this 2019 article does it commendably well, comparing permy vs divy-paying contractor tax rates across a full range of income.

Interestingly, permies and contractors pay about the same overall tax rate, with the permy having a slight advantage as pay increases over £50,000. It's a picture which ought to be more widely publicized. While things might have been different in 1994, there are no tax advantages to contracting and the government ought to stop pretending otherwise, portraying contractors as under-taxed etc.

Anyway Great article: accurate, rigorous with no BS.

Jim
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 December 2020, 17:47.

We've said for years that the IR35 battle is over Employer NI which that article completely ignored so this really isn't news.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Er, so what do you think happens to employee's wages when large companies pay more corporation tax? You can't factor CT for contractors and ignore it in the tax burden of employees, it's just that the calculation involves an extra level of indirection.

Comment

Also, not £12,500 because, of course, business expenses and choice of salary.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          We've said for years that the IR35 battle is over Employer NI which that article completely ignored so this really isn't news.
          You didn't scroll down far enough?

Why IR35 isn’t the answer to HMRC’s prayers

Though the difference in tax take from employees and contractors is negligible, contractors have long attracted unwanted attention from HMRC in the form of IR35. However, curiously, the elephant in the room is employer’s NI.

Employer’s NI is paid at a rate of 13.8% by the employer on top of the salary paid to an employee. Firms do not pay employer’s NI when they hire contractors, which has resulted in what HMRC perceives to be a shortfall in contributions to the Exchequer.
          Granted, it doesn't really go into the full depths of this.

As an argument against the mantra of "doing the same job, should pay the same tax", the article is a decent stab at an explanation but I agree that using CT is conflating the individual and company tax positions.

Comment

Didn't read it but as stated it's about employer NI and also about the ability to tax plan a bit. You can choose when to take out your money.

Smart contractors only take out dividends at basic rate and the rest either stays in company until exit via ER, reinvested in something else, or goes into a pension, or combination of all 3.

There is a definite advantage and I honestly think it should be extended to employees. Employees should have a vehicle (other then pensions) to defer tax liability. It would level the playing field a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post

Anyway Great article: accurate, rigorous with no BS.

Jim
              Except it’s rubbish and doesn’t shown the 60% income tax rate (+ national insurance) at £100,000+

Comment

Not really a great comparison. No pension for a start.
                And what contractor goes into the higher rate? Surely everyone just keeps the retained profit in the company as a war chest?
                And it fails to consider that a contractor gets paid a LOT more than an equivalent permie.

It reads like a puff piece about hard done to contractors.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Some do go into higher rate by choice, e.g. if withdrawing funds for personal investment / use elsewhere. Not everyone is focussed on keeping everything under a set limit and so plan their finances differently.

I will draw what I want / need from my company and if I have to pay more tax, so be it. I'm not going to refuse to live my life because it might cost me more in tax.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Some do go into higher rate by choice, e.g. if withdrawing funds for personal investment / use elsewhere. Not everyone is focussed on keeping everything under a set limit and so plan their finances differently.

I will draw what I want / need from my company and if I have to pay more tax, so be it. I'm not going to refuse to live my life because it might cost me more in tax.
                    You choose to pay more tax or not as your circumstances/desires fit. A permie doesn't have that option.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X