• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got an AirBnB property?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Not read the article yet, so...

Can AirBnB rental be covered by the rent a room relief, or whatever it is?

Still needs to be declared, of course, which I suspect many people haven't even remotely considered. Especially those who may rent out on an ad hoc basis.
    Yes, one room in your main residence.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      Yes should be easy enough I guess. Years ago in Oz they brought in a Tax File No system and you can't sneeze without providing one. Works wonders for tax collection I think.
      You are right. And it does. Oz is one of the few places that has an even more complex taxation system than ours. But it is administered very well indeed and everything happens really quickly. Everyone files a tax return unlike the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        You are right. And it does. Oz is one of the few places that has an even more complex taxation system than ours. But it is administered very well indeed and everything happens really quickly. Everyone files a tax return unlike the UK.
        When the TFN first came in I forgot about a few dollars of interest, had an email within days

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          When the TFN first came in I forgot about a few dollars of interest, had an email within days
          Yes, everything is linked back to ATO. When you start your tax return after June 30th everything regarding salary is prepopulated in the electronic return. To the extent that annual salary statements are no longer issued by employers, typically. When you file the tax return it's either closed out or a tax demand lands within days. A tax refund lands in a couple of days paid direct to your bank. I am left wondering why, if government departments in Australia are so efficient, why is the UK so bad?

Comment

Yes, everything is linked back to ATO. When you start your tax return after June 30th everything regarding salary is prepopulated in the electronic return. To the extent that annual salary statements are no longer issued by employers, typically. When you file the tax return it's either closed out or a tax demand lands within days. A tax refund lands in a couple of days paid direct to your bank. I am left wondering why, if government departments in Australia are so efficient, why is the UK so bad?
            Because we use the phrase World Beating - without checking whether we are good (or even vaguely competent) at what we do.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Because we use the phrase World Beating - without checking whether we are good (or even vaguely competent) at what we do.
              This is where you're going wrong.

You're assuming World Beating = better than everywhere else.

Been waiting ages for a reason to share a clip from one of my favourite naff films

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Exactly. And don't get me going about health care. So called 3rd world countries often have better health services. In the UK it's still like Florence Nightingale still worked there. Three weeks for result of an Xray? FFS, why? Everywhere else in the world now, it's instantaneous on the screen round the corner. Enough of a rant.

Comment

Exactly. And don't get me going about health care. So called 3rd world countries often have better health services. In the UK it's still like Florence Nightingale still worked there. Three weeks for result of an Xray? FFS, why? Everywhere else in the world now, it's instantaneous on the screen round the corner. Enough of a rant.
                  because the leading class are criminals and want to create the need in the population for private health care. so that they can share more money between friends and family and get population more productive. what else can you do then? just not work and die from a appendicitis that you cannot afford £10k for ?

returning to the subject, I guess historically landlords have been able to pass the additional costs of taxation or others to tenants / guests.
                  the real pests of the sector, I would pressure they are incorporated as ltds and managing their tax liability more carefully. Presumably plenty of them have received even gov support during this period...

Comment

Working...
                  X