• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Furlough Rejected by HMRC - Accountant didnt issued RTI monthly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a small one man band Ltd company which has been effected by COVID.
    My contract role was terminated and I decided to furlough myself until I got another job.

I asked my accountant to put in my claim for JRS to HMRC as they were running my PAYE scheme for me back in April 2020.
    Accountant did this, no payment was made, I also asked the to run the claim for May, again no payment was made and no information was forthcoming. At the beginning of May I was contacting the accountant and asking them to tell me what was going on. Due to totally tulipe customer services it took weeks to even get my issue directed to the right department, each time I called or emailed it was a week turn around to find out nothing or get no response. In the end I opened up a complaint.

It turns out my claim was rejected by HMRC as my PAYE scheme was automatically closed down in July 2019.

After lots of being on hold and asking HMRC to look into my file it turns out no RTI/PAYE/FDS information was being sent over monthly and it appears it was being left to the end of financial year.
    As this was the case HMRC rejected my claim due to my PAYE scheme being closed and no information being sent through prior to the March cut off date for furlough applications.

HMRC has also rejected an appeal. Twice!

So the last 3 months has been a circus, chasing and getting nowhere fast. A couple of apologies from the accountant, which doesn't put food on the table or keep a roof over my head.

In this instance who would be to blame, HMRC for not notifying the accountant of a closed scheme or the accountant for not actually sending over the information I would expect them to do on a monthly basis as part of their workload?

I am furious as well as suffering quite bad hardship (conned out of £30k by our builder in 2018 so dont have any savings). Apparently there are 1000s of people in the same position.

We've had others posting the same scenario. Ultimately, ensuring you were set up for RTI (if that is what you expected) is your responsibility, so you have no claim with HMRC. You'd have to try to work something out with your accountant but I doubt your contract with them will have passed that responsibility (legally) onto them.

Specifically, what did your accountant apologise for? Did they accept liability for the lack of RTI?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 20 July 2020, 13:58.

Comment

Get a bounce back loan

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

It’s pretty much tough tulip... your accountant might have screwed up but it’s your responsibility.
        Find more work. Or get a loan as suggested.

affected....
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
        X