• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Claiming Expenses, VAT or something along those lines Help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Claiming Expenses, VAT or something along those lines Help!

    Hello folks,

    I am working under the umbrella company Paystream.

    Recently due to the lockdown situation our work has moved to our homes and we are to use our personal computers to complete our contracted work.

    I have been having issues with a slow computer which has been affecting my work as we are accessing a virtual desktop and this can be fairly taxing on computer systems.

    I decided that I need to upgrade a few of my computers parts such as CPU, RAM and Motherboard to get myself in a better position. Simply just need some new computer equipment.

    Would I be eligible to claim expenses on this or a VAT return from HMRC or anything to help with costs? As I am running down my personal computer to complete my contracted work I would have thought it would be similar to claiming back fuel for travelling into work.

    Any help is greatly appreciated umbrella companies never fail to confuse me XD.

    Thanks!

    #2
    Employees can submit a form to HMRC to claim tax relief on expenses not paid for by their employer IIRC. I very much doubt any umbrella will allow you to out them through their payroll.

    Have a read of this and see if it offers any help.

    Claim tax relief for your job expenses - GOV.UK
    Click here to come to the CUK Xmas do on 10 Dec! Meet your board heroes!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by supfoxtrot View Post
      Hello folks,

      I am working under the umbrella company Paystream.

      Recently due to the lockdown situation our work has moved to our homes and we are to use our personal computers to complete our contracted work.

      I have been having issues with a slow computer which has been affecting my work as we are accessing a virtual desktop and this can be fairly taxing on computer systems.

      I decided that I need to upgrade a few of my computers parts such as CPU, RAM and Motherboard to get myself in a better position. Simply just need some new computer equipment.

      Would I be eligible to claim expenses on this or a VAT return from HMRC or anything to help with costs? As I am running down my personal computer to complete my contracted work I would have thought it would be similar to claiming back fuel for travelling into work.

      Any help is greatly appreciated umbrella companies never fail to confuse me XD.

      Thanks!
      No

      That is all


      Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

      Comment


        #4
        I’m pretty sure you can’t. However if you have a LTD company that isn’t dormant it might need a computer so you can do that.

        However..... Remote Desktop does not need a fast PC. You can run a Remote Desktop client on a raspberry pi....
        So you might want to reconsider if you really need a new PC.....
        See You Next Tuesday

        Comment


          #5
          4.
          See You Next Tuesday

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Lance View Post
            However..... Remote Desktop does not need a fast PC. You can run a Remote Desktop client on a raspberry pi....
            So you might want to reconsider if you really need a new PC.....
            This is the first thing I thought. I've been working on 6 year old Dell Inspiron quite happily the last few weeks. I can imagine some people may have even more archaic kit but if that's the case what is the point in upgrading the internals? Just sack it and get something decent that will last a few years more.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              This is the first thing I thought. I've been working on 6 year old Dell Inspiron quite happily the last few weeks. I can imagine some people may have even more archaic kit but if that's the case what is the point in upgrading the internals? Just sack it and get something decent that will last a few years more.
              let's be realistic though. OP has upgraded his PC. OP now wants to know if he can claim any of it.
              The rest is just BS.
              See You Next Tuesday

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Lance View Post
                let's be realistic though. OP has upgraded his PC. OP now wants to know if he can claim any of it.
                The rest is just BS.
                Close but not quite right XD


                Tbh I just wanted to see what the policies are around this in regards to umbrella companies and if it was at all similar to a LTD.

                Running a VDI for now, hopefully it stays that way! Although I doubt it in which case a few upgrades would be welcome and wanted to get all the info on financial help/savings.

                Appreciate all the help and discussion!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by supfoxtrot View Post
                  Close but not quite right XD


                  Tbh I just wanted to see what the policies are around this in regards to umbrella companies and if it was at all similar to a LTD.

                  Running a VDI for now, hopefully it stays that way! Although I doubt it in which case a few upgrades would be welcome and wanted to get all the info on financial help/savings.

                  Appreciate all the help and discussion!!
                  I repeat

                  You can’t claim anything from anyone


                  Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The simple answer to the OP is, no you can’t.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X