• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drawing remaining dividends allowance on 7.5%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing remaining dividends allowance on 7.5%

I'm saving for mortgage deposit and I'm thinking that drawing the max dividends for the year on 7.5% is the best I can currently do to minimize tax losses on personal income.

Is this a valid approach? I still have around 10K to draw on 7.5% (after salary of £8,632 and the dividends I've already used up through the year) and I can't currently think of any other less expensive way to get cash in my personal account.

Why wouldn't you be getting the max money out of the company in the most efficient way? That's the whole point of contracting through a LTD company.

Speak to your accountant. They should be giving you a break down of the most efficient model at the beginning of the year.

Also don't let the tax tail wag the dog. Even the next tax level makes it better than a perm so if you need the money to enhance your way of life then take it. You are going to get taxed when it comes out so might as well use it if your budget allows.

All that said, just be very careful here though. The one thing you need to be focusing on above all else (IMO) is your warchest. The world is going to rat tulip and it's going to get worse. I would personally be putting everything on hold until I have at least a year of full pay/and dividends in the bank and even then I'd be considering my options carefully. No point buying yourself a new house when there is a chance of losing your gig for 6 months and running out of money.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 April 2020, 11:42.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No, I think I am, just needed some common sense injection and you did administer that quickly

Yeah, salary was set to optimal level for the year and I've been really good with my expenses etc.

I've also put some employer's contributions into a pension fund (just before corona hit so having big losses there already which hopefully won't be a long - term nightmare as I'm not touching the fund for many years) so I'm a bit sensitive towards 32.5% at the moment. When this crisis is over I'll definitely be less sceptic about that.

Comment

Off topic post using inappropriate language removed.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Off topic post using inappropriate language removed.
          Isn't this off topic as well?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Isn't this off topic as well?
            Yes. But you didn't imply naughty words, so I'll let you off.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Could be a great time to buy a house.

Buy low, sell high.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Could be a great time to buy a house.

Buy low, sell high.
                careful. I got my comment on house prices moderated for being off topic..... And now is not a great time to buy, in 12 months might very well be.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X