• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting for a newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting for a newbie

Hello All,

Do most people here have an accountant and use accountancy software themselves?
    I have just left a large accountancy firm as I was paying a lot for not much. I have been recommended a local accountant who seems to know his stuff, but is a little old fashioned and isn't interested in using Quickbooks.
    I would like to create weekly invoices and record the occasional expense through my iphone, but the only apps I can find seem to be the all powerful ones that charge monthly but have lots of features I dont use.
    So I am wondering:
    1. Do others who use Apps like Quickbooks and Freeagent also have an accountant?
    2. If so do you get the software free?
    3. Does anyone know of App that creates pdf invoices for Iphone. I dont mind paying a little to buy it, but i dont want to pay monthly fees.

Thanks

At the very top of this part of the forum is a sticky about recommended accountants and it goes in to detail about why you shouldn't use a local guy and why you should only use free agent.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hello, thanks for that, I had read it but I still a little confused about why people need both the software and an accountant. Seems there are so many contractors with similar circumstances that software could be written to remove the need for a accountant for most people. So I wondered if anyone had actually gone down this route. I saw another thread where people has posted what they paid and I was surprised how much people were paying, but still using Freeagent or Quickbooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gav1234 View Post
        Hello All,

Do most people here have an accountant and use accountancy software themselves?
        I have just left a large accountancy firm as I was paying a lot for not much. I have been recommended a local accountant who seems to know his stuff, but is a little old fashioned and isn't interested in using Quickbooks.
        I would like to create weekly invoices and record the occasional expense through my iphone, but the only apps I can find seem to be the all powerful ones that charge monthly but have lots of features I dont use.
        So I am wondering:
        1. Do others who use Apps like Quickbooks and Freeagent also have an accountant?
        2. If so do you get the software free?
        3. Does anyone know of App that creates pdf invoices for Iphone. I dont mind paying a little to buy it, but i dont want to pay monthly fees.

Thanks
        The growing trend seems to be accountants offering software as part of the package. My accountant provides me with a Freeagent login - I'd recommend having a look at Freeagent. I just upload statements / mark expenses / invoice once a month and they take care of all of the statutory bits and pieces.

Comment

I get FreeAgent free with my business bank (RBS/NatWest) I do not pay for an accountant but call upon the good grace of the accountants on here with the occasional dumb question
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I use an Accountant, and FreeAgent (which is not given "free").

Unless you have experience of preparing Financial Statements, Corporation Tax and Personal Tax Returns, Statutory Returns, and Real Time Payroll submissions, I would pay for an Accountant. I am a trained Accountant, but have been working as an IT Consultant (20+ years), and pay an Accountant to do all of the above.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
            X