• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - Rights after 4+ years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    Few things I keep in my "Im not an employee" listare:
    - I am not allowed on the corporate intranet
    - Im not invited to any of the "work" events
    - Im excluded from all employee comms newsletters and emails
    - my user name actually has the abbreviation External consultant pre-fix

I know some of the above doesnt count in the official list of things but its all valid and I would be using them in any argument.
    Absolutely. Anything that distinguishes you from permies should go into your IR35 file.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      Absolutely. Anything that distinguishes you from permies should go into your IR35 file.
      I think one of their "tests" is folly. Its in relation to providing your own equipment. Dont think I have ever worked in an org that allows you to plug in your own laptop to their network. It just doesnt happen and shows a lack of understanding how IT works and Ive worked in Public S. Be interesting to know if HMRC would allow a random to plug their laptop into their network, I doubt it very much! To me its not a valid test.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

I think one of their "tests" is folly. Its in relation to providing your own equipment. Dont think I have ever worked in an org that allows you to plug in your own laptop to their network. It just doesnt happen and shows a lack of understanding how IT works and Ive worked in Public S. Be interesting to know if HMRC would allow a random to plug their laptop into their network, I doubt it very much! To me its not a valid test.
          And laptops are specifically excluded from the 'test' in the CEST tool in any case (I use my own all the time).

Comment

"Dont think I have ever worked in an org that allows you to plug in your own laptop to their network."

Clearly they didn't have a VPN then. My current client allows access to their Intranet using VPN through the Internet.

Comment

I’ve never had a client that’s NOT let me use my own laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                "Dont think I have ever worked in an org that allows you to plug in your own laptop to their network."

Clearly they didn't have a VPN then. My current client allows access to their Intranet using VPN through the Internet.
                From Home Ive managed to use Citrix in the past, but not allowed to use own kit in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I’ve never had a client that’s NOT let me use my own laptop.
                  interesting how Ive never experienced that personally. if you dont mind me asking do you work in a specific industry?

Comment

interesting how Ive never experienced that personally. if you dont mind me asking do you work in a specific industry?
                    Of my last 5 contracts, only one has not allowed me to use my own laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Of my last 5 contracts, only one has not allowed me to use my own laptop.
                      Just proves my point, using your own equipment cant be used as a test. Or you would have failed on at least one engagement....anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X