• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a limit to claiming for traning courses ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a limit to claiming for traning courses ?

Hi..
    Hopefully this is in the correct forum.
    I have tried searching for this in the various threads but all I can find is what I can claim for in regards to training. Accountant says it has to be relevant which I already know is in relation to the job etc..
    Question is will HMRC query tax relief on a number of training courses taken over say a short space of time ?
    I have been quoted around £1500 each for three that I need now to go along with my current skills\experience but also need others to keep my CV ahead for potential clients. Taken on the above I could potentially be forking out around 4-5k for those alone.

In relation to the above my VMware knowledge and skills are well out of date (not used in my last 4 years of contracts ) where this requirement is top of the skills list for some of those advertised jobs therefore if I would be looking at administrator training at the very least , would I have to prove that this is a requirement of daily work routine to justify the cost of such a course ?

How are you searching for your info? We've done training courses so many times it's not true. The rules are pretty black and white and generally so is the application. There are some grey areas where you are going to have to make a call.

Use the google method and type the following in to google.

training site:forums.contractoruk.com

Read and you'll find your answer and some good related information you probably never considered.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
      Hi..
      I have tried searching for this in the various threads but all I can find is what I can claim for in regards to training. Accountant says it has to be relevant which I already know is in relation to the job etc..
      Question is will HMRC query tax relief on a number of training courses taken over say a short space of time ?
      I have been quoted around £1500 each for three that I need now to go along with my current skills\experience but also need others to keep my CV ahead for potential clients. Taken on the above I could potentially be forking out around 4-5k for those alone.

In relation to the above my VMware knowledge and skills are well out of date (not used in my last 4 years of contracts ) where this requirement is top of the skills list for some of those advertised jobs therefore if I would be looking at administrator training at the very least , would I have to prove that this is a requirement of daily work routine to justify the cost of such a course ?
      Take a look at: https://www.contractoruk.com/expense..._expenses.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        How are you searching for your info? We've done training courses so many times it's not true. The rules are pretty black and white and generally so is the application. There are some grey areas where you are going to have to make a call.

Use the google method and type the following in to google.

training site:forums.contractoruk.com

Read and you'll find your answer and some good related information you probably never considered.
        Thanks I tried searching as per the normal route although it does list some good content I could not see anything in relation to cost or if capped at a certain amount which is what my main query is about..

I shall try the link old Greg has posted ..thanks for that !

Comment

if it's a valid expense then there is no cap as such.
          It's either valid or not. That's all HMRC care about.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            if it's a valid expense then there is no cap as such.
            It's either valid or not. That's all HMRC care about.
            Ok ! Thanks for the response !

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
              Hi..

Sounds like claiming these expenses is fine because they are work related and part of your development within your company: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim01220

Here are the don'ts: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim01250

If your accountant can't answer these basics just sack them and move on.

On an unrelated note Jayjay69, do you know a Tee-Jay or Wee-Jay?

Comment

Working...
              X