• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage Advice - First Time Buyer (shall I use Broadbench?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Advice - First Time Buyer (shall I use Broadbench?)

Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at buying my first house. I am a contractor with 2 years of contracting (12 months per contract) and have just received a new 12 month contract. Whilst shopping around I ended up being contacted by a company called Broadbench. They have so far made all the right noises, saying they are confident they can get me the Mortgage I want at a competitive interest rate and we have got to the stage where they would like me to send in all documents for an Agreement in Principle... plus the £100 fee they are charging for this. Is this necessary? I know how to do get an Agreement in Principle, but I don't think I'd be able to get the mortgage I want at a competitive rate with Lenders they are mentioning (high street lenders like Halifax etc). Do I need to go through these and pay the £100 fee for an AIP?

I have done a lot of research on this forum and elsewhere and can't find much about this company, has anyone used them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

:-)

Speak to Halifax first if you like them. I've recently been in touch with them about this and you sound like you hit their criteria for using your contract rate as basis for borrowing amounts and they ask that you've been 'working' for two years prior to application, but I think they take each case as it comes.

Comment

OK thanks, will try them.

Comment

I've used Freelancer Financials a number of times for mortgages and most recently to secure a Halifax mortgage. The rate is comparable and actually beats many of the standard offerings so we don't get penalised as some people think.

Some people have gone direct to Halifax and it's worked fine but as you are very close to the 2 years thing I personally recommend going through a broker. Mess up the application and you might lose the house so well worth paying a little bit to get it done properly.

You could ask for John Yerou but any of his advisors will be more than capable of helping.

EDIT : we've discussed mortgages and providers ad infinitum on here and it appears Broadbench have never been mentioned which I think gives you your answer.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 15 March 2018, 09:04.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes thanks! It was well worth asking then. I've tried super contractors who are happy to provide an agreement in principle free of charge but the interest rates they are quoting are around 2.2%. Broadbench quoted 1.4% over the phone but stated that it may change when they do the AIP, which they would like to charge £100 for. It seems like they might just be quoting a low interest rate to real people in. Will try Freelancer Financials today.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by GasmanLS7 View Post
            Yes thanks! It was well worth asking then. I've tried super contractors who are happy to provide an agreement in principle free of charge but the interest rates they are quoting are around 2.2%. Broadbench quoted 1.4% over the phone but stated that it may change when they do the AIP, which they would like to charge £100 for. It seems like they might just be quoting a low interest rate to real people in. Will try Freelancer Financials today.

Thanks for all your help!
            Most contractor mortgage brokers do this and you can even do online as well - if they want to charge for AIP go elsewhere. Super Contractors was pretty useless in helping me out, to went with London and Country who were much more on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              ... went with London and Country who were much more on the ball.
              Good to know they deal with contractors too. I used them a couple of times when I was an employee and their services were free of charge.

Do they charge a fee for contractors?

Comment

Well, this is interesting.
                Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                EDIT : we've discussed mortgages and providers ad infinitum on here and it appears Broadbench have never been mentioned which I think gives you your answer.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; Today at 09:04.

NLUK is "Contractor UK"????

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Well, this is interesting.

NLUK is "Contractor UK"????
                  Sorry, made a change and forgot what account I was on. Nothing to see here.. move along.

but really it was just admin/mod removing freelancer financials hyperlink I put in.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I totally believe you.

Comment

Working...
                    X