• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling Ltd and Enterpreneurs' Relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pardon my ignorance.

What is a PSL?

Generally I would agree that on the face of it, a genuine third party buying cash in a company wrapper makes little sense.

You'd be better liquidating and taking a capital distribution and claiming ER that way.

Be aware that ER has a number of anti avoidance provisions including a couple of nasty ones introduced in 2016 which basically set out to deny relief if the reason for a sale includes tax. Hard to deny that seeking ER is considering the tax position. So HMRC's default position is that some tax mischief is planned and they will investigate. So be prepared.

Go and get some professional advice and not a bunch of ill informed opinions from anonymous forum posters.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

The anti avoidance provisions mentioned above have nothing to do with ER directly, but in fact apply to capital treatment of a final distribution full stop (even if you haven’t claimed ER).

Comment

Hi northernladuk,

I would take a little break to start with. Then I will focus on the development of a product. Still in IT, in a different industry.

Would that have any bearing?

Regards,
        G.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeg View Post

One reason is access to a PSL or two.
          Access to a PSL has value.
          It's in effect a contract and has some value called goodwill.

Figure a price for that, and add it to the cash assets before you agree a price.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            What is a PSL?

>>>>>>SNIP<<<<<<<

Go and get some professional advice and not a bunch of ill informed opinions from anonymous forum posters.
            Quite a lot of our opinions can be very good advice (quite often saying to seek professional advice).
            Some can be awful as well.

So take your broad, sweeping-statement brush back to the tax evaders forum where people really need help.

PS. PSL = preferred suppliers list
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              The anti avoidance provisions mentioned above have nothing to do with ER directly, but in fact apply to capital treatment of a final distribution full stop (even if you haven’t claimed ER).
              Agreed but I assumed that if the OP was closing for a period and winding down, then liquidating and claiming ER is sensible.

My original thought about getting advice stands.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Hi Lance,

Sure thing. That would be the cherry on top.
                I would not sell for less than what's in the bank... why would I do so anyway? Heh.

Cheers,
                G.

Comment

Hi webberg,

The ltd will remain operational. The difference is that I won't be part of it, other than perhaps a handover period (of no more that a couple of months)

Regards,
                  G.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Quite a lot of our opinions can be very good advice (quite often saying to seek professional advice).
                    Some can be awful as well.

So take your broad, sweeping-statement brush back to the tax evaders forum where people really need help.

PS. PSL = preferred suppliers list
                    Thanks for the information on PSL.

"tax evaders forum"? I would put that in the "broad, sweeping statement" category i think.

I would say that, in my opinion, almost NOBODY who used the forum where this thread now sits, is a tax "evader".

HMRC wish to paint a picture for the gullible that this is the case, but I'm afraid that it's just not true.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by georgeg View Post
                      Hi webberg,

The ltd will remain operational. The difference is that I won't be part of it, other than perhaps a handover period (of no more that a couple of months)

Regards,
                      G.
                      I will say again - go and get some professional advice.

The situation will vary according to each individual circumstance so it would pay you to shop around for an opinion and a fee.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X