• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommend me an Accountant - SJD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I have just gone limited to do IT contracting and am trying to find an accountant. The two obvious ones I could find were clearsky (parasol) and SJD. Both have 'mixed' reviews to say the least.

Would love some personal recommendations.

Thanks.

Originally posted by roscoeh View Post
    Hi,

I have just gone limited to do IT contracting and am trying to find an accountant. The two obvious ones I could find were clearsky (parasol) and SJD. Both have 'mixed' reviews to say the least.

Would love some personal recommendations.

Thanks.
    Neither...?

Try this list.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You'll get several recommendations on here no doubt. I switch to Danbro last year after being dissatisfied with my local accountants for a few years, and they've been great so far. I was paying separately for a FreeAgent subscription but Danbro (like several others) include it as part of their monthly fee.

Coming up to my year-end soon, so I'll be interested to see how smoothly they handle preparation of my annual accounts, but I'm confident it will be fine.

I will happily recommend Danbro, but there are several others who use FreeAgent as well and I would definitely recommend you find one that does.

Comment

Note that SJD, Clearsky, Parasol & Nixon Williams are all part of the same private equity backed group!
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I wish someone would create a thread helping with accountant recommendations and make it a sticky at the very top of the thread so people can't miss it....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Danbro are mainly an umbrella company I thought. Do you know if the fact that Danbro Ltd, recently name changed to Tuiga Ltd going into administration will impact on your service?
            Last edited by Waldorf; 13 February 2018, 17:24.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the list I like the look of these guys : Crunch.

To be honest the something about SJD did not sit right with me, which is why I asked. Then I looked at reviews on trust pilot and it seemed be some shenanigans going on there too.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 16 February 2018, 09:58. Reason: URL Removed

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the list I like the look of these guys: Crunch

To be honest the something about SJD did not sit right with me, which is why I asked. Then I looked at reviews on trust pilot and it seemed be some shenanigans going on there too.
                SJD totally screwed my position with HMRC, failed to give me any year end reports, sent me some totally inappropriate advice on end of year taxation and failed to apologise when I complained to my "accountant" (whichever one it was that week) and their management, although by then I'd moved on to Dynamo and didn't really give a toss. Shame, they used to be among the best.

New guys. though, sorted the mess and have been very supportive. And they use Freeagent.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 16 February 2018, 09:58. Reason: URL Removed from Quote
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the list I like the look of these guys.Crunch.

I’m with crunch and chose them over a free agent accountant after decideding sjd were too expensive for the service they provided and I’ve been pretty happy with them so far. If you need a referral you can PM me, I think it’s £50 of amazon vouchers for you
                  Last edited by Contractor UK; 16 February 2018, 09:59. Reason: URL Removed from Quote

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    SJD totally screwed my position with HMRC, failed to give me any year end reports, sent me some totally inappropriate advice on end of year taxation and failed to apologise when I complained to my "accountant" (whichever one it was that week) and their management, although by then I'd moved on to Dynamo and didn't really give a toss. Shame, they used to be among the best.

New guys. though, sorted the mess and have been very supportive. And they use Freeagent.
                    My last interaction with SJD (Except for chasing them for MONTHS for my year end accounts) was like trying to get blood out of a stone. In the end, I was sending THEM HMRC technical docs which answered the question they were skirting. Very frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                    X