• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving inTouch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    My experience of company purchases does not match this.

The new owners will firstly look for ways to remove costs - and this will often revolve around streamlining staff or 'making them more efficient' which is normally demotivating and people will move on - as seems to have been the case.

In addition often the people buying the company do not understand the industry and start to make poor decisions based on 'their knowledge and experience' as opposed to the vast amount of knowledge and experience within the company - which the new owners will always ignore because they are the new owners and employees are just thick and not to be trusted.

Cannot say if this is the case for you but I have been there, seen it, done it and yes I have the damn t-shirt.
    Thanks for your post.

The purchase is from a company in the exact same niche, so wont have any impact from an industry stand point.

Time will tell about the other parts, but there were no plans for any changes.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
      @cinek, you're not the only one... I had the same issue with not being advised of the amount of my VAT return for Feb.

I had to "remind" them the day before it was due. Eventually got it sorted but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
      I'm still unsure if it's worth the worry to continue with them, although their Senior Client Manager assured me it was a "one-off", your scenario confirms it's not....
      yeah, it's always a "one-off" isn't it... I've already changed accountants within intouch as I went from Laura to another accountant. Things have been fine until recently. I'd rather stick with 1 accountant but it seems like all the well known accountants have gone to ..... so the best way out would be to use something like freeagent/xero and find a local accountant that'll manage things? The thing that annoys me is that the prices go up and service goes down. I always see paying for an accountant is to have piece of mind not to have to baby sit him/her especially when I send over ALL letters I receive from HMRC.

@Neil@Intouch - many thanks for sorting out my issue but it should never have gotten to this point as everything has been sent over via email, not to mention I've complained about receiving unpaid notices as nothing was done about it until I posted on this forum.
      Last edited by cinek; 30 April 2018, 19:00.

Comment

This crazy. We have a thread for accountant recommendations. Can we have one for pathetic whines about accountants? Make it sticky.... reduce the noise.

Who the fook cares if you can’t manage your supplier?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It has been rather sunny in Bournemouth tho, perhaps they're all down the beach?

Comment

Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
            It has been rather sunny in Bournemouth tho, perhaps they're all down the beach?
            Productive.

Comment

I have to admit this year Intouch have been slow in filing accounts. Usually it was within a month of year end but this time we are in the third month and still nothing.

Anymore delay and I might move before the dreaded happens.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                I have to admit this year Intouch have been slow in filing accounts. Usually it was within a month of year end but this time we are in the third month and still nothing.

Anymore delay and I might move before the dreaded happens.
                Devil's advocate...but I don't think how quickly they do your accounts after year end should be considered a key criteria as to how good an accountancy firm is. If you need them quickly for some reason (mortgage reference, moving to different firm, or you just want them quick), then prod and hopefully the firm will be able to prioritise them.

Otherwise as I've said in other threads (and received mixed response!), the completion of the statutory figures does of course need to be done, but as long as it's done comfortably before the filing deadline is of limited importance. Hopefully any key findings from the figures would be flagged way before the preparation of the statutory figures.

Ie
                Firm A - notices and flags key issues within a few months of them arising. Issues can then be resolved before much damage done. The firm then takes 6 months post year end to finalise statutory figures.
                Firm B - within the first month after year end gets in touch re statutory figures. Only upon preparing them notices 9 months earlier near the beginning of the accounting year you made a howler which it's now too late to fix.

To my mind (ignoring other possible differences) firm A are providing a far superior service to firm B. This post is a generic comment, not aimed at In Touch...but specific to the post I quoted, if this is your only grievance and otherwise you're happy with the service, I wouldn't recommend changing accountant over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                  Devil's advocate...but I don't think how quickly they do your accounts after year end should be considered a key criteria as to how good an accountancy firm is. If you need them quickly for some reason (mortgage reference, moving to different firm, or you just want them quick), then prod and hopefully the firm will be able to prioritise them.

Otherwise as I've said in other threads (and received mixed response!), the completion of the statutory figures does of course need to be done, but as long as it's done comfortably before the filing deadline is of limited importance. Hopefully any key findings from the figures would be flagged way before the preparation of the statutory figures.

Ie
                  Firm A - notices and flags key issues within a few months of them arising. Issues can then be resolved before much damage done. The firm then takes 6 months post year end to finalise statutory figures.
                  Firm B - within the first month after year end gets in touch re statutory figures. Only upon preparing them notices 9 months earlier near the beginning of the accounting year you made a howler which it's now too late to fix.

To my mind (ignoring other possible differences) firm A are providing a far superior service to firm B. This post is a generic comment, not aimed at In Touch...but specific to the post I quoted, if this is your only grievance and otherwise you're happy with the service, I wouldn't recommend changing accountant over it.
                  Your posts are great mate, we definitely have similar thoughts in all things accounting!

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                    Your posts are great mate, we definitely have similar thoughts in all things accounting!
                    I'd agree with Chris's thoughts as well. I'd add that a rough order of priority would be

- day to day email, phone calls and advisory
                    - deadline driven periodic filings - vat, payroll, looking over spreaddy, freeagent or whatever
                    - annual accounts where this is a mortgage need or similar
                    - annual accounts others - so long as they aren't a last minute rush

IME no accountant leaves accounts intentionally to the last minute, but it can be a challenge juggling it all - to a degree thats where the skill is in practice management.

Comment

I am in the process of switching away from InTouch.

This is not a bashing post, however.....for me, the reasons I initially chose InTouch included:

1) 'Personal accountant' - I am currently on my 6th within around 5yrs...!

2) Competitive/suitable pricing - the price has changed quite a bit over the last 5yrs. I have relatively simple needs, sole director/no employees/FR VAT and so on. I have the likes of QDOS (TLC35 cover, contract reviews amongst others) and IPSE for any and all my chosen insurance needs and contract reviews....but have to 'pay' for these (generally lesser cover) within my monthly fee

3) Local!

Now, in defence, I have never had any REAL issue with InTouch; everything has been processed on time, certainly nothing close to the wire in terms of required submissions and so forth. They have always responded, albeit sometimes with a longer delay than I would like (for the premium monthly fee), but - nevertheless - always responded and with accuracy and competence.

Going back a few years, I had great confidence in my first couple 'Personal Accountants' - both were well qualified, knowledgeable and most helpful. Sadly, over the last few years, I believe that the quality has dropped - I am not convinced that the successors were fully fledged, but perhaps more Accounts personnel overseen by a senior accountant somewhere.....again, imagine that this is totally legit, but not necessarily a premium solution to match the premium fees?

TL;DR
                      InTouch - for me - used to offer exemplary service, advice and product for a reasonable fee. Now, I feel that the service is 'sufficient', the advice 'generic' albeit slightly tailored (i.e. drop a name in the blank!) and the product is now notably costlier....because of all the additional non-optional bumpf bundled in.
                      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X