• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency requesting ID for a Ltd company employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    What is your issue with providing an agent with the information?
    I'm guessing but - the idea of providing more information than is necessary, particularly personal data, is something that some people (myself included) don't like.

The agency can't even use the legislation correctly, since they are saying that the OP is opted out but because of the regulations they need to do something else. Unless they are implicitly stating that they know that the OP isn't opted out of the regulations and so they need to make sure they are complying with them.

I would offer to get a company officer to confirm that anyone provided via them has a right to work in the UK and meets the criteria set out. That gets round the ID problem and gives the agency the confirmation and back covering they desire.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just seems a lot easier to show them the passport. If I was hiring a contactor and had to deal with all this fuss over a passport before they set foot in the office, my first impressions would be difficult to change.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
        I provided my passport details when I took on the current gig. It was part of clientcos contractor onboarding process anyway.

No biggie IMO.
        Care to share your passport details here on this forum seeing as it's "no biggie" to be giving sensitive personal information to strangers?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy20 View Post
          I will not provide personal I.D just for appeasement. I'll ask for their password details and see how they take it!
          Good for you, for having a spine.

You shouldn't supply such details simply for appeasement even if it does means that the more unscrupulous agents will cut you out of the role. If your relationship is genuinely that of You ---> Your Ltd. ---> Agent then the agent has no right to see your passport or other personal information, no matter how much they may demand it.

If you listen to half the people on here, they'd acquiesce to the agent having copies of their DNA and the DNA of their entire families if it meant they got the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            What is your issue with providing an agent with the information?
            Fundamentally, it's because the agent has no right to see that information, nor are they required to see that information. They may be legally required to ensure that their "workers" are authorised to work in the UK, but you're not an employee of the agency, so that burden falls on your Ltd's shoulders, so a nice letter to the agent from your Ltd. serves that purpose.

Put it this way. You have as much right to see the agent's passport as he has to see yours. Next time one of them demands to see your passport, ask to see theirs first. See how far you get.

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
            Just seems a lot easier to show them the passport.
            And if the agent demands to see your birth certificate? Do you simply show it as it's a lot easier?

And if the agent demands to see copies of your last 5 contracts to check your "worth"? Do you simply show them as it's a lot easier?

And if the agent wants the names and phone numbers of the hiring managers for your last five clients? Do you simply show them as it's a lot easier?

And if the agent wants a copy of your DNA in order to "profile" you since they know that passports can be faked? Do you simply provide it as it's a lot easier?

All of the above are things (except perhaps the DNA one, but give it time) that any agent:
            i) Has no "right" to have.
            ii) Could be demanded of you anyway, or you don't get considered for the role.

Where do you draw the line? Remembering of course, that acquiescing to small things now leads to demands for ever greater things in the future.

Please. Grow a spine and just say no.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              Care to share your passport details here on this forum seeing as it's "no biggie" to be giving sensitive personal information to strangers?
              Not the same.

And if the agent demands to see your birth certificate? Do you simply show it as it's a lot easier?

And if the agent demands to see copies of your last 5 contracts to check your "worth"? Do you simply show them as it's a lot easier?

And if the agent wants the names and phone numbers of the hiring managers for your last five clients? Do you simply show them as it's a lot easier?

And if the agent wants a copy of your DNA in order to "profile" you since they know that passports can be faked? Do you simply provide it as it's a lot easier?

All of the above are things (except perhaps the DNA one, but give it time) that any agent:
              i) Has no "right" to have.
              ii) Could be demanded of you anyway, or you don't get considered for the role.

Where do you draw the line? Remembering of course, that acquiescing to small things now leads to demands for ever greater things in the future.

Please. Grow a spine and just say no.
              Birth certificate I'd probably show them, the rest no.

Remembering of course, that acquiescing to small things now leads to demands for ever greater things in the future.
              Very broad statement. I doubt they'll be asking him for his DNA profile after they askl for a copy of passport.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                Not the same.

Birth certificate I'd probably show them, the rest no.

Very broad statement. I doubt they'll be asking him for his DNA profile after they askl for a copy of passport.
                Why is it not the same? Do you know exactly what happens and who gets to see your passport details after you've handed them over?

They may not ask for his DNA, but they very reasonably could demand previous contracts and hiring manager details. (Reasonable from their perspective, not necessarily yours). In fact, we know they frequently ask for this information anyway - usually up front though, rather than as part of your application for a gig.

But how long until an enterprising agent realises that they can definitely get those all important hiring manager leads by making your offer of a gig conditional upon you handing them over?

And if you, personally, don't hand them over, the agent won't worry as there'll be another spineless doormat along very soon who will.

Comment

Why is it not the same? Do you know exactly what happens and who gets to see your passport details after you've handed them over?
                  Giving a copy of your passport to a company you are providing services to != posting an image of your passport on a public forum on the internet.

They may not ask for his DNA, but they very reasonably could demand previous contracts and hiring manager details. (Reasonable from their perspective, not necessarily yours). In fact, we know they frequently ask for this information anyway - usually up front though, rather than as part of your application for a gig.
                  And if that happens, a decision can be made as to whether you'd also like to provide those details or not.

But how long until an enterprising agent realises that they can definitely get those all important hiring manager leads by making your offer of a gig conditional upon you handing them over?
                  Likeliness to not get a contract based on not providing passport details when requested = medium (depending on end company).
                  Likeliness to not get a contract based on not providing list of previous hiring manager names = low/zero.

You can do what you like, but I'd happily take a contract from anyone who was being so awkward about a request to prove their id.

Comment

You draw the line where you want to.
                    It is not a "slippery slope" but individual choice. You decide when you want to say no based on the gig on offer, etc. You might change your mind for the next contract.

There's no point in saying that if you let someone see your passport, then next week everyone will want a DNA sample. That is just ridiculously jumping to extremes and implying that it is forced on an individual at each step.

As a business you should act in a professional manner when dealing with other businesses, not get swept up in mass hysteria about all the "what ifs" in the world.
                    Rather than growing a spine, maybe growing a business brain would be better. The spine will come from that.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

First they came for my ID, and I gave it to them for it was no big deal...
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X