• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 year rule but contract now falls below 40%?!?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 year rule but contract now falls below 40%?!?!

Hi all, looking at your advice on this as my accountant doesn't seem to know! I've been on a contract for nearly 4 years delivering a major IT project. After 2 years, I stopped claiming expenses to client site as above 40% of my time. I'm now working more time at home or in London so travel to my client's site is now less than 40% for the year so far. Does this affect me at all? Does this mean I should claim back all expenses for the year? How does this work? Thanks for all responses.

If you are over 24 months then you need to have been working on that site less than 40% of the time to claim. It's not to do with a year. It's the total time spent on site.

Work out when you will have spent less than 40% of time on site across the whole gig and you can start claiming from there.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      If you are over 24 months then you need to have been working on that site less than 40% of the time to claim. It's not to do with a year. It's the total time spent on site.

Work out when you will have spent less than 40% of time on site across the whole gig and you can start claiming from there.
      I might be wrong, but doesn’t OP only need to wait until they’ve spent less than 40% of their time onsite over the previous 2 years, calculated on a rolling basis?

For example, if you were on site 100% for 3 years and were no longer claiming travel expenses and then switched to 99% WFH, you’d be able to start claiming travel expenses again after about 15 months because at that point you would have spent less than 40% onsite in the previous 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBen View Post
        Hi all, looking at your advice on this as my accountant doesn't seem to know!
        I would look to move accountant or insist they take proper advice.

NLUK knows more than most accountants. And there are a few here who have damned good knowledge. But personally I would not trust advice I have not paid for and could sue for afterwards.

And of course you have no idea if I know what I am talking about or a complete idiot.....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          I might be wrong, but doesn’t OP only need to wait until they’ve spent less than 40% of their time onsite over the previous 2 years, calculated on a rolling basis?

For example, if you were on site 100% for 3 years and were no longer claiming travel expenses and then switched to 99% WFH, you’d be able to start claiming travel expenses again after about 15 months because at that point you would have spent less than 40% onsite in the previous 2 years.
          Ah... Yes sorry you are are right. It's in the rolling 2 year window. Found this example.

You’ve been at a workplace for 24 months and spent 100% of your working time there. You can reset the 24 month rule if you didn’t then commute to that location for the next 14.4 months, or nearly a year and a quarter. This would mean that you’d spent 9.6 months of the last 24 months commuting to that location. Therefore, you would be able to claim T&S from that point forward until the 40% rule was breached.1*(see the pictured example to see the equation)
          Scenario 3 on this site.

https://www.clearskyaccounting.co.uk...24-month-rule/

Even longer in the OPs case as he's still attending some of the time.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X