• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up a workplace pension without excessive costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I’ve just finally got around to opening a SIPP. Cavendish does seem like the cheapest option for a new portfolio. Only 0.25% platform fee. I’m putting all of mine into a Vanguard Lifestrategy 80. That will do me until it gets to 6 figures at least, at which point I will review and get professional advice if I think I need it.
    Cavendish are a good low cost choice using the Fidelity platform. Don't overlook Close Bros, they charge the same 0.25% platform fee and I find them excellent. I run three family portfolios there and one (much larger one) at Interactive Investor.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

When I say simple I didn't mean the ability to choose correct funds but rather the mechanism of setting up a pension account to receive funds.

Obviously once set up there can be a huge range of funds/options that can be invested in and they all have higher or lower degrees of risk. An advisor may be handy at that point but I don't see why they are needed just to get a pension account set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger22 View Post
        When I say simple I didn't mean the ability to choose correct funds but rather the mechanism of setting up a pension account to receive funds.

Obviously once set up there can be a huge range of funds/options that can be invested in and they all have higher or lower degrees of risk. An advisor may be handy at that point but I don't see why they are needed just to get a pension account set up.
        So read the link I posted...?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          There is another option. Have a read of this...
          Expensive. There have been two options recommended so far that are only 0.25%. What does the IPSE one offer that the others don’t to justify paying 0.43%?

Comment

Expensive. There have been two options recommended so far that are only 0.25%. What does the IPSE one offer that the others don’t to justify paying 0.43%?
            Nothing except a kick back to your friends at IPSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger22 View Post

It couldn't be simpler. Just go to the platform of your choice. Fill in the on line application form. Have NI number, debit card etc.... all at hand. Within five minutes you will have your pension account set up.

Comment

I suggest you look into it properly. It's only 0.43%, no other commissions or hidden charges.

But I only offer it as a simple starter solution which is what you wanted... I didn't ask for a critique of its merits (or lack of them).
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I’ve just finally got around to opening a SIPP. Cavendish does seem like the cheapest option for a new portfolio. Only 0.25% platform fee. I’m putting all of mine into a Vanguard Lifestrategy 80. That will do me until it gets to 6 figures at least, at which point I will review and get professional advice if I think I need it.
                  This is pretty much what I've done, but with Hargraeves Lansdown as teh platform. Set up a SIPP, took minutes online. Then downloaded the form to allow for direct Company payments to be set up. Now I just pop online and my LTD can make payments directly.

Pick a Vanguard Lifestrategy fund and let it sit there is probably the simplest advice. As ever it's good to read up, recommend this over an IFA https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smarter-Inv...dp/0273785370/

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    I suggest you look into it properly. It's only 0.43%, no other commissions or hidden charges.
                    And the others suggested on here are only 0.25% and if you only want to invest in a passive fund there's no other charges besides the fund charge (which you'd still pay through the IPSE pension too).

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                      This is pretty much what I've done, but with Hargraeves Lansdown as teh platform. Set up a SIPP, took minutes online. Then downloaded the form to allow for direct Company payments to be set up. Now I just pop online and my LTD can make payments directly.

Pick a Vanguard Lifestrategy fund and let it sit there is probably the simplest advice. As ever it's good to read up, recommend this over an IFA https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smarter-Inv...dp/0273785370/
                      So, you pay HL 0.45% to hold your low cost Vanguard fund for you? I'd have a think about that for a second if I were you.

Comment

Working...
                      X