• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complete newbie - first time contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete newbie - first time contracting

I have lived overseas for the last 15 years and now returned to the UK and have been offered a job working for a company as a contractor.
    This will be my first work as a contractor and I have looked at the IR35 rules and whilst I think I might be able to work a way around the IR35 rules I have decided that I really don't want the risk and sleepless nights - so I guess I need to use an umbrella.
    Can anyone recommend a good value company that is completely legit and can offer basic accountancy and self assessment etc?

Contractor Umbrella gets good comments on here, and Lucy is a regular poster too.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There is a lovely area of the forum specifically for Umbrella's where recommendations are asked for regularly and the same answer (as given by WFTH) has been given numerous times.

BTW I agree with WTF... but for future reference and questions about brollies, check that section.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When you say work your way round the IR35 rules, why would you think you'd be inside? You might be, we don't know, but it's not as difficult to prove as you'd think.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Contractor Umbrella gets good comments on here, and Lucy is a regular poster too.
          Dammit. The Ipad is yours this time.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            When you say work your way round the IR35 rules, why would you think you'd be inside? You might be, we don't know, but it's not as difficult to prove as you'd think.
            I am contracted to work at a specific location with specific start/end times etc - I am to all intents and purposes an 'employee' without the benefits of employment and it would be difficult to prove otherwise. I cannot work from home, it's full time so could not work for anyone else and I couldn't send a replacement if I was ill etc.

The day rate is good enough to equate to a well paid employee assuming a 45 week year. So although I will certainly cry each pay period when I see the deductions, at least I can sleep at night

Comment

Does anyone on here actually use Contractor Umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by steveclv View Post
                Does anyone on here actually use Contractor Umbrella?
                Come on ladies and gents who fancies letting everyone know!!

Comment

Originally posted by steveclv View Post
                  The day rate is good enough to equate to a well paid employee assuming a 45 week year. So although I will certainly cry each pay period when I see the deductions, at least I can sleep at night
                  Even if you do cry - we are good at providing a little tlc to our contractors - so it should make it a little easier

Only other thought is tax saving through pension or childcare vouchers if either are an option? But give us a shout ane we can see if we can help...

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                    Come on ladies and gents who fancies letting everyone know!!
                    It could be worth your while - but be quick as only one can benefit

Comment

Working...
                    X