• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company asset insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company asset insurance

Now then ... I may need to take out insurance for a company asset - a bicycle. Started looking around at company contents insurance, but looks like it may be easier just to get a separate dedicated bike policy, ideally paid for by my Ltd.

Other assets (laptop, etc) are covered by home contents insurance, but that only covers bikes up to £3,500. I could increase that amount as an individual item on the home insurance, but would prefer not to have it itemised on our home policy, in case "others" see it.

Anyone here taken out a separate business contents/asset insurance ?

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Now then ... I may need to take out insurance for a company asset - a bicycle. Started looking around at company contents insurance, but looks like it may be easier just to get a separate dedicated bike policy, ideally paid for by my Ltd.

Other assets (laptop, etc) are covered by home contents insurance,
    but that only covers bikes up to £3,500. I could increase that amount as an individual item on the home insurance, but would prefer not to have it itemised on our home policy, in case "others" see it.

Not if it's a business owned asset it isn't surely?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Some home insurers do cover between £5-£8K of business assets in your home office. However if you take any item away from home you may not be covered.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Mine is wrapped up with my Public liability insurance. I only took it out as I was doing some work in Europe so was definitely not covered.

In regards to bikes as they are frequently stolen especially expensive ones that are targeted, you are better of getting a separate bike policy.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Mine is wrapped up with my Public liability insurance.
          Yep, I did see some companies offering that. I renewed with QDOS a few months back, who don't advertise contents cover as an option ...

Comment

Other assets (laptop, etc) are covered by home contents insurance, but that only covers bikes up to £3,500. I could increase that amount as an individual item on the home insurance, but would prefer not to have it itemised on our home policy, in case "others" see it.

Yes, I have separate insurance. Like you, my home contents policy covers a certain amount of business equipment but it's quite limited. It's fine if all you've got is a few filing cabinets, a printer and a cheap laptop but if you've got a dedicated office with more expensive equipment and furniture owned by the business then IMO it's better for the company to pay for it's own policy. It also won't cover portable equipment.

If you want a good, cheap option, look at Direct Line for Business. I used them for several years - for less than £100/year they provided me with employers and public liability insurance and office contents insurance (not a vast sum, about £5k) which also included portable equipment cover (though sadly only a £500 limit on each mobile phone). I doubt you'll find better than this, price wise.

If you want something a bit more flexible then you'll need to shop around. I'm now with Hiscox, because they are one of the few insurers who would cover all of my contents inside my garden office (due to it's timber construction). I'm paying about £300/year now and again this covers everything I had before (slightly higher office contents cover now and no silly limits like £500 per phone).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It's becoming more common, probably due to the increase in home working. Its limited and I suppose its generally intended to cover situations where employees bring company equipment home for a few days a week to work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Yes, I have separate insurance. Like you, my home contents policy covers a certain amount of business equipment but it's quite limited. It's fine if all you've got is a few filing cabinets, a printer and a cheap laptop but if you've got a dedicated office with more expensive equipment and furniture owned by the business then IMO it's better for the company to pay for it's own policy. It also won't cover portable equipment.

If you want a good, cheap option, look at Direct Line for Business. I used them for several years - for less than £100/year they provided me with employers and public liability insurance and office contents insurance (not a vast sum, about £5k) which also included portable equipment cover (though sadly only a £500 limit on each mobile phone). I doubt you'll find better than this, price wise.

If you want something a bit more flexible then you'll need to shop around. I'm now with Hiscox, because they are one of the few insurers who would cover all of my contents inside my garden office (due to it's timber construction). I'm paying about £300/year now and again this covers everything I had before (slightly higher office contents cover now and no silly limits like £500 per phone).
                Thanks, I'll take a look at both as options.I may just take a separate bike policy for now, and then look to get a EL/PL/contents policy when my current QDOS EL/PL expires.

Comment

I’ve got a Business Policy through Hiscox. My phone and laptop are owned by the business, and because I need to take them out and about (phone went on holiday with me), then I needed worldwide cover. Policy is £14pm.

Comment

Working...
                  X