• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT

I have a small limited company on the standard VAT scheme, can I still claim back VAT if no breakdown is shown on the receipt and just their VAT number is shown?

I'm sure your accountant would be happy to spend some time with you going through all the aspects of VAT and answering any questions you have
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is also a helpful government website that contains information on VAT to cross reference with.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie Simon View Post
        I have a small limited company on the standard VAT scheme, can I still claim back VAT if no breakdown is shown on the receipt and just their VAT number is shown?
        So long as it's a valid VAT invoice/receipt, then yes. It must show the VAT rate. Depending on the value and what you've bought, what you might have is a modified or simplified VAT receipt. The criteria you can check it against are here:

https://www.gov.uk/vat-record-keeping/vat-invoices

Comment

Yes it looks like its a simplified VAT invoice, can I still claim back VAT on this?

Comment

Yes it looks like its a simplified VAT invoice, can I still claim back VAT on this?
            Did you read and attempt to understand the link provided?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Comment

You can if you're Lewis Hamilton.

One a more serious note I claimed back VAT on a laptop that was £2.5k with only a till receipt. The purchase was a while ago and the retailer only gives VAT receipts out for 30 days post purchase. Should have got one originally and it was more complicated but on advice of accountant the amount is important. HMRC isn't going to query or chase a VAT claim of £300 but they might query a refund of £3.3M. Or not as the case may be.

Comment

Working...
                  X